You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Old No. 7
United States

Micrologix 1400 RTC

I have an application where I'm trying to sync a HMI clock with the Micrologix RTC. I finally got everything working, but I found one fairly major issue. If you send the time/date while the RTC is disabled, the PLC will fault. What I would like to do is have the PLC program enable the RTC, but I don't think this is possible. The only way I can see is to enable it through RS Logix.
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Lancie1
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Apparently you can disable the RTC by writing all 0's to RTC Words 0 thru 5, which contain the date and time fields. I don't know, if you then write the current date and time into these fields, whether the clock will restart.
Old August 21st, 2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Old No. 7
United States

I did confirm that sending zeros to all the time/date fields will disable the RTC. Unfortunately, sending it time/date values when it is disabled will fault the PLC.

It's easy enough to prevent the fault by not sending values if the RTC:0/DS (disabled) bit is set but it sucks that there is no way to turn it back on through the program. Since it defaults off when you get a new PLC, I'm worried about our guys forgetting to turn on the RTC manually through RS Logix during startup.
Old August 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

The manual says the RTC:0/DS is read only. You can probably use that bit in logic to
only allow your HMI to write to the RTC when it's enabled.

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum