You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 7th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #1
Tarlo
Italy

Set OPC Server in Rsview32

Hi all, i have a problem; i have a serial connection from my pc to PLC (CompactLogix L31); i create an OPC topic in rslinx named "410"; in rsview32 i create an OPC Server: in "name" i wrote "410" again; i set server name as "RSLinx OPC Server" and i set "Local" in type.
When i start the project all tags are recognized, the graphic works well but the bottom error's line show me the error: "OPC Error - '(Rslinx OPC Server) Server: The item is no longer available' ".
What is this error? How can i resolve this problem?

Thanks all.
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #2
fuzzy logic
Italy

Ciao,
there could be some issues due to the "limited" resources of the serial connection to the processor, that could be overloaded when attempting to scan tags from a very large Logix program over a busy or slow network like that.
Try to review inside RSLinx Classic the Communication Events, opening up the Communication Events log and see which errors are listed there; posting here the messages maybe some users could give hints on how to solve your issue...

In the meantime, try also to put just a very few tags on scan through the OPC server, and see if still the error appears.
Also, try to verify the OPC Topic configuration inside RSLinx Classic, selecting the Data Collection tab and setting the Limit Max Packets to 1

Hope this helps,

- fuzzy logic
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #3
Tarlo
Italy

Thanks for the answer.

In the communication events there is an error: " :-none- 09/07/11 13-19-00 : 00h "
In description there is: "this project is undefined topic. Verify the topic in the current project".

Same error changing the value in data collection.

I tried with 3 tags and no error appears.
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #4
fuzzy logic
Italy

Evidently, my suspect about the overloaded connection seems real... now, you have to try something in order to avoid the issue, but remember that you only have a serial connection, anyway...

I strongly suggest to take the time to review the Application Guide named: ControlLogix Data Collection with RSLinx Classic, which could give you some hints about Data collection method and Logix Optimization, and indications on how to maximize the communication bandwidth usage with Logix controllers.

The file is usually inside the RSLinx Classic installation disc (...\Redist\OnlineDoc\ENU\CLxPerf.htm)

Hope this helps,
- fuzzy logic
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Tarlo
Italy

Thank you, i will read the guide and i'll try again.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum