Nick.Ferguson

I have been reading the post for a couple of days, and this site is great! My problem is I have taken on a new project and have ran in to some problems- Setting up a slc 5/04 with panelview 1000 plus when I went to test a screen a got an error " Cannot Interpret area RNA ://$local/(app name)/{result=80070057)"
I am sure this is a simple problem but new to factorytalk view studio
Thanks for the Help

Welcome to the Forum !

That error message is FactoryTalk View's way of saying "Syntax Error". It usually happens when you have mixed the direct reference syntax with the ordinary Shortcut syntax.

When you address an SLC-500 data table element in FactoryTalk View, the usual syntax is

{::[Shortcut]N7:0}

The initial double-colon is to tell the FactoryTalk data provider that there's a colon in the address. The curly brackets designate a direct reference via RSLinx Enterprise to the controller, rather than running through the FactoryTalk View Tag Database.

My first couple of questions include:

What revision of FactoryTalk View Studio are you running ?

Is this a new project or one that's been running for a while and you are editing ?

What network interface are you using between the SLC and the PanelView Plus ?

Ken,
This is a new project that I stared. The factory talk is 5.10 (CPR 9 SR 2) The network is currently dh 485 ( I am testing the app in the test mode with the laptop hooked to the slc) Since I am new, learning factory talk the trial and error way, the app I am currently use is simple a couple of mon buttons
tag to a bit in the logic. The syntax I'm using is ::[SLC_504]b3:0/0. In this syntax it works in the PLC but gives me the error code

Thank you for the help

Try putting curly brackets around the reference and see if that works.

I don't have much experience using the DH485 Serial driver on a PC... in general I'd use the DF1 Full Duplex driver to connect serially with an SLC-5/04 Channel 0 port. That driver is asynchronous so it doesn't have the Windows timing issues that the DH485 driver might.

Ken,
I tried the {} brackets before and after the syntax and it gave me the no address on server. I will try the DF1 full duplex tomorrow.

Thank you for giving me a idea where to look

In my project, I don't want to type the shortcut all the time.
Imagine what happens if the shortcut changes later on!

Tag substitution makes it possible to 'pass' the first part of the tag path.
You could pass areas in your PLC via a navigational menu.
This way you can even reuse pages for nearly identical areas.

You can open a page with the Display scripting command. At the same time you pass the communications shortcut name.

Display MYAREA /T{::[MyProject]}

Now in order to avoid typing MyProject a lot in the page of interest, the graphics there use the #1 substitution.

{#1Program:pumps.Motor1.Running}

And you could this to open further popups:

Display MOTOR /T{#1Program:pumps.Motor1}

I especially find the #1Program part really ugly, this makes me believe there has got to be a better way to do this.