You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 26th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
jeramiah
United States

getting a siemens plc system to talk over wifi

Hi all,

I am trying to get a Siemens 315-2 PNDP PLC and a Siemens ET200M (153-4) Profinet system to communicate to each other over wifi (I am using a MOXA AWK-3121-US wireless switch. however I am having a difficult time getting it to work. I can ping to each devices ip address. but when i view the siemens hardware config, it says the IM153-4 is configured but not available. If i connect directly to the PLC and the IM153-4 with a CAT5 cable, it will communicate just fine.

Is there some setting that I am missing?

any helpful remedies are welcomed.

Thank you
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #2
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

I am not an expert in wireless Profinet, but I think that you need Profinet-rated wifi equipment in order for it to happen. And it must be configured so that the topology is known throughout the project.
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #3
Manglemender
United Kingdom

I've never tried Profinet over WiFi but I have used standard ethernet switches rather than Siemens switches. I think that the topology only needs to be defined if you are using some of the higher level protocols such as IRT.

Does the switch contain a firewall/packet filter and, if so, is it rejecting traffic to and from slave address? Is the switch set up for IP Spoofing / "Network Translation"?

I'm interested to know the solution to this one.

Nick
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #4
L D[AR2,P#0.0]
Lifetime Supporting Member
United Kingdom

I've seen a MOXA AWK-3121 working with an S7 PLC + ET200S but unfortunately don't have details of the MOXA configuration.
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #5
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manglemender View Post
I've never tried Profinet over WiFi but I have used standard ethernet switches rather than Siemens switches.
"Regular" TCP/IP I have done many times over wifi.
And wired (not wifi) Profinet IO RT (not IRT) is possible with any switch that supports QoS.
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #6
WJhsson
Sweden

Hi,

I have no experience on the MOXA products, but you may have some kind of protocol problems which is not affecting the ICMP protocol (which the PING command uses).
What you could do is to try to adjust (increase) the "update time"-parameter in HW-config from default 1 ms to 8 or 16 ms. You find the parameter by double-clicking the slave. Not sure if it helps you out, but it could be worth to try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Profinet.jpg (53.7 KB, 89 views)
Old February 8th, 2018, 12:34 AM   #7
drmandge
India

Hello,

Even I am also trying to achieve the same. I can ping my ET200M but CPU is not detecting any ET200M connected to it. Did u find any solution so far?
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum