You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old November 21st, 2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Mikebuk
United Kingdom

SLC500 Multiple Rack addressing

Hi All,
In an SLC500 system, with more than one rack, what is the Rack/Slot/Bit address format? I know that the first slot in a rack is '0' as far as the program is concerned, but what is the physical address with regards to the rack, slot and bit? I have seen many different answers to this. Some say the physical address is for example: the first rack is rack 1 - the first slot is slot 1 and the first bit is bit 1. Others say that the first rack is rack 0 - the first slot is slot 0 and the first bit is bit 0. I have also seen other combinations of this! All very confusing. Could someone shine some light on this for me. Thanks in advance.
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Sergei Troizky
Canada

There are no racks in SLC addresses, but slots only.
The processor is the leftmost slot0, the rest is numbered in order thorough all existing racks.
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:47 AM   #3
The Plc Kid
United States

Mikebuk

Sounds like you are confusing Racks and Chasis.

The Chasis is where the physical cards go but in I/O addressing there is a Rack/Node and the term with Allen bradley products is mostly used with plc 5 equipment.

Physical layouts are chasis. In the slc just connecting expansion chasis with ( a second or more chasis with a cable between them)the slots just continue in a sequential order.

If you have slc chasis that does not have a processsor in the left most slot and has no expansion chasis but does have a comm card in the left most slot then this is a rack of remote I/O being mastered by another plc somewhere.

Check this against your current setup.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Mikebuk
United Kingdom

Hi,
Thanks for both of the replies. Sorry, yes when I said rack I did in fact mean chassis. I am aware of the addressing convention with respect to the program. In that the first chassis starts at 0 with the leftmost slot and works up to 29 for the 30th slot in the expansion chassis's.
I don't think My original question was clear. Ignoring program addressing. If say there was an input card in the 1st phyisical slot of the 1st chassis and I connected to say the 1st input on that card. (I know this can't actually happen), then what would the physical address be? From what I have seen and been told it could be any one of a number of answers. Some say that the chassis is 0 some say 1, some say that slot is 0 and again some say 1, also some say the bit number is 0 and others 1. But which is correct? Many thanks.

Mike.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Tim Ganz
United States

The processor is in slot zero so it would be 1.

On a micrologix or similar it would be zero for the base I/O and 1 for the firt expansion Input card. This is because the I/O and the processor are in the same unit / slot so to speak but in a slc it would always be 1.
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM   #6
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

BIt numbers on a SLC will always be 0 through 15.

Slot 0 is the CPU or adapter slot for the chassis.

I/O slots are numbered 1-29 for adjacent cards including any extended local chassis (connected to the same backplane with a cable between chassis).

I/O slots hanging off of a remote I/O scanner are a whole nuther animal. After you understand PLC5 rack/group/slot addressing, then those become a combination of the SLC slot number where the scanner card is located, followed by the word delimiter or period, following by the LOGICAL Rack/Group/Slot values used by the PLC-5 system of remote I/O.

It's not all the variables I am most concerned with, it's the undiscovered constants.

"You can lead a horse to water but if he's got his head up his as$ he may die of thirst anyway."
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum