What's a good laptop for PLC programming?

M_Fehervari

What kind of laptops do you use?

And what operating system?

I'm looking at laptops now, but I don't want to get one that's going to be limiting...

Are there laptops out there with 2 serial ports? It's a big bother to have to restart every time I go from DF-1 to PIC... :rolleyes:

I am using a Dell Latitude and like it very much. Most laptops have NO serial port or floppy built in. The Latitude has both. I also have an extra battery to replace the floppy when I am travelling and want about 4 hours of time. I am using Windows 2000 Operating system. Not all of my software is XP compatable and I am not ready to Beta test Microsofts problems. To get more serial ports, you may want to use a USB to serial adapter.

My last three laptops have been Dell Inspirons. They all have a serial port and onboard ethernet, and I've never had connectivity problems at all (I use Siemens S7). The first two ran Windows 2000, and my latest one is using XP.

A few years ago I tried Gateway, but that was a big mistake. They were far too flimsy, and I replaced them within a few months.

The only problem I've had with the Dells is on the XP machine. I didn't bother buying a removable floppy drive for it, thinking my USB floppy would be ok, but the Siemens authorization won't work properly on it.

I am using Compaq Armada M700 with two OSs: Windows Me and Windows XP
Armada M700 has only one serial port. I have to boot my Laptop with Windows Me when I need to use DF-1 and PIC. Anyhow, I've never used DF-1 and PIC at the same time. I have to stop one to start the other.

2 serial ports on laptop?
You will be lucky if you find laptop with 1 port nowdays.

Most likely it will be USB to serial converter...

I am using 4 year old Dell and really happy so far (new hard drive, added memory, extra battery) - one true serial port.
Dell is my choice of laptop.

For DF1 I am usisng USB to serial cable from WWW.PLCCABLES.COM on virtual COM4
Unfortunately PIC works only with true serial port (COM1).
Both can co-exist in RSLinx.

I use Dell Latitude C800 for about one year I have one serial port build in
and another on PCMICA card.
I have Dell Inspirons 5000 P3 650 3 years old which shut down twice and Compaq Preasrio which I never had any problems.
Try to get serial port build in and floppy other wise you might have problem with AB RSLogix.

I have the latest etch-a-sketch Ver 2.0 that does a really swell job.
The only problem I have with it is having to hold it above my head and shaking hard to reboot.

A used laptop that you can afford to trash in the event of a woops while working in the field. I once had a laptop catch fire because the unit it was working on had no power ground and the best ground was through the laptop. Since then I use old machines when working in
the field.

I recently bought a compaq nx7000. As with most new laptops it did not come with a serial port or a floppy drive. But I currently use USB floppy and a USB to serial converter.

I used the USB floppy to move RSlogix license (its fine, it works just like an internal floppy drive) and I use the USB to serial converter for downloading to Siemens PLC and Allen Bradley. So far it works fine.

With the operating system, you might want to check whther the software you have is the latest (XP compatible) version. I had some problems with that.

Hope this helps!

I use the 1500$ laptop. When I need one, I purchase the one that I recognise the brand and that is priced 1500$.

2 years later I give it away and purchase a new one. Guess whats the price?

And I have a B&B RS232 PCMCIA card.

Do you need one laptop with 4 os or more?

From my little brain ...may I add more information (not match your's topic sorry)
If you need several OS..such as one laptop with 3 or 4 or more OS
for several programs you want to use ..
You can do it with big ram..like 256 ( 512 much more better)
Install Win Xp on ..your's laptop first.
Then install Virtual PC program..
Install WinMe ,Win98,Win 2000,Win Xp ..etc inside virtual pC
Yes, you can run 3 or 4 OS at the same time (Hope your's ram enough)
and a lot of funny thing you can play with this software.
Also,if your's laptop or notebook have serial port ,.. very lucky
you can use that comport from guest OS(inside Virtual PC)directly with plc or modem that you connect with..

:p
How much you pay for Micro.....bus haha

Platootod

Re: Do you need one laptop with 4 os or more?

Platootod said:
From my little brain ...may I add more information (not match your's topic sorry)
If you need several OS..such as one laptop with 3 or 4 or more OS
for several programs you want to use ..
You can do it with big ram..like 256 ( 512 much more better)
Install Win Xp on ..your's laptop first.
Then install Virtual PC program..
Install WinMe ,Win98,Win 2000,Win Xp ..etc inside virtual pC
Yes, you can run 3 or 4 OS at the same time (Hope your's ram enough)
and a lot of funny thing you can play with this software.
Also,if your's laptop or notebook have serial port ,.. very lucky
you can use that comport from guest OS(inside Virtual PC)directly with plc or modem that you connect with..

:p
How much you pay for Micro.....bus haha

Platootod

No problem, I need replies like these too...

Thanks for all the replies. I thought Dell had reliability issues, but I guess not...