You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 13th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1
jonathanknowles
United Kingdom

RSLinx Gateway Ethernet/IP

Hello everyone,

Hardware:
  • One server running RSLinx Classic Gateway
  • Lots of PCs running RSlinx Classic Professional/Lite
  • Lots of AB devices connected to the network over ethernet
I was wondering whether it would be possible to create an Ethernet/IP driver on the Gateway server, then configure all the PCs so that they use the driver on the gateway.

The current situation requires that I set up several standard Ethernet drivers on the Gateway server, manually input all the IP addresses of the devices, set up one install of RSLinx Professional/Lite to use the drivers on the Gateway; manually distribute the configuration to the PCs which require it.

The Ethernet/IP driver would be an advantage as I wouldn't have to manually input any IP addresses then as the gateway can see all the connected devices automatically.

Many thanks for any help you can offer. I can provide more details about anything if it will help.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Dravik
United States

That's more or less exactly what the gateway edition was designed to do in RsLinx.

Enable the Gateway Function if you haven't already and Setup your Client Access List to whitelist to just the client pcs you want to access the gateway.
On the client PCs, Add a 'Remote Device via Linx Gateway' and point it at the gateway pc and driver you setup.
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3
jonathanknowles
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought the gateway edition was for too. I've already had everything set up as you suggest. Except for the client list. That is set to not check, which I assume will not make any difference, unless you have any other experience.

What I'm seeing is that only standard Ethernet drivers work through the gateway, but the Ethernet/IP driver (which finds everything automatically) doesn't.
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Dravik
United States

That's what I get for replying w/out having my coffee first.. Hmm, That I haven't tried to be honest.
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #5
dmargineau
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

"What I'm seeing is that only standard Ethernet drivers work through the gateway, but the Ethernet/IP driver (which finds everything automatically) doesn't.[/quote]"

It is a bothersome nuisance we've all experienced...RSLinx Ethernet/IP drivers can't "hop" on different subnets, "gateway-ed" or not...I believe THEY're still working to solve the issue...
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #6
jonathanknowles
United Kingdom

Ahh I see, it's a Rockwell problem is it. I assumed it was me doing it wrong. I'll just have to do it the long way then.

Thanks for the swift responses chaps.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum