Panelview 300 and micrologix 1500

steve98

Hello,
Well, after fighting thru comm and cable issues from pc to panelview and pc to plc finally communicating with each separately. I have panelview 300 2711-K3A17L1, Micrologix 1500 1764-24AWA and cable 1761-CBL-PM02 between them. I configured both DF1 19200 at first, then 9600 Baud. Tried with handshaking on then off. I keep getting error panelview offline. I have created tags in panelview. Attaching both program and screens. Can't figure comms out - seems like hardest part using AB...:mad:

From my manual you need one of the following:
Cable, Cat. No. 2711-NC21
Cable, Cat. No. 2711-NC22
(null modem not required)

I think you can add a null modem adapter to your 1761-PM02 to get the right pinout.

I have not used the PV300, only the PV300 Micro which has a mini-din connector for its RS-232 port, but your PV300 apparently has a DB9 for the RS-232 port, correct?

Last edited:
I just tried the null modem cable connected in with the PM02 - still same problem - Offline. My AB vendor has the 2711 in stock - I guess I start there...o_O

JR - Thanks for the pin outs - not easy to get this info. I'll get cable and see what fun I can have tomorrow...Thanks guys!

OK - got my new cable today 2711-NC21 - Still have same problem! 686 Panelview offline. Went of comm setup again - can't find anything missingo_O
Gonna try changing more setting. Not sure if hand shaking should be on or off? Any ideas out there?

No handshaking.
Do both baud rates match? Looking at your posted files, they're both set for 9600, so that should be fine. Definitely turn off the networking checkbox, leave error checking at BRC, and no handshaking...

In PB32, since you messed with the networking checkbox, there is a value under node address. I think that should be blank. You might try deleting the device, then recreate it to ensure there is nothing in that node address field to foul things up.

Last edited:
Deleted device in panelview and put back in - same thing. In node address, if you do not check networking, there is a shaded "2". Downloaded - still same error - offline. Can easy communicate from plc to panelview or micrologix 1500 - no problems. check RSlinks - both set same parameters. Not sure what to try next...

OK, finally found whats wrong. During troubleshooting, I must have pushed the comm button (under the cover) on micrologix. That, in turn, reset the comm baud rate back to 19200. My program had set it at 9600. So, redid everything at 19200 - now i have comm between panelview and micrologix. Now next error - 683 File access error. I'm thinking it's because I have a few tags in panelview that I don't have data or matching in micrologix. My search continues..........

...next error - 683 File access error. I'm thinking it's because I have a few tags in panelview that I don't have data or matching in micrologix. My search continues..........

Yep, that will do it. Create the data files and download, and those errors should clear up as long as the data exists.

19.2k is probably best so that when Bubba gets curious about that COM button at 2 a.m. ...

Yep, if that's one thing I learned over the years, if there's a button, switch, or dial, somebody at sometime is going to push it, switch it, or turn it at just the wrong time...no matter how may times you tell them to leave it alone!šŸ™ƒ

..Somebody at sometime is going to push it, switch it, or turn it at just the wrong time...no matter how may times you tell them to leave it alone!šŸ™ƒ
Hmmm....Now who was that last Somebody that pushed this comm button?

I know, often enough it has been me that drew that last bucket of water that broke the well rope!