You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Cuno61
Netherlands

Communication Codesys V2.3 and V3 usin CANopen

Hey guys,

I used to have a PLC and a HMI from ifm. I programmed both of them in v2.3 and used network variables over CAN.

We switched to another PLC and HMI from TTControl. The PLC can be programmed in v2.3 and the HMI with v3. I looked up network variables in v3 and it seems to be supported, but only over UDP. When I want to use CAN it gives me a warning stating: Network protocol not defined in device description.

I can't seem to find the settings for adding CAN as a network protocol. Has someone ever used CAN for communication between codesys v2 and v3? I tried adding a canopen slave in v3, then exporting it as an eds file and then importing it in v2.3. It didn't seem to work (everything stayed 0).

Also, after importing the EDS file, i could not communicate with my encoder on the same CAN.
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2
MrQ
Sweden

Under the Resources tab select: Target Settings there is a Tab called Network Functionality. Mark "Support network variables". Should worb between 2.3 and 3 as long as the hardware supports it.
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Cuno61
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ View Post
Under the Resources tab select: Target Settings there is a Tab called Network Functionality. Mark "Support network variables". Should worb between 2.3 and 3 as long as the hardware supports it.
MrQ,

I already have this option enabled in v2.3 but I can't seem to find it in v3. How can I enable network variables in V3 using CAN.
Old March 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
MrQ
Sweden

Does you HW really Support CAN?

Then It should be no problems. The help file even decribes in detail setting upp comm between 2.3 and 3. Just search for "network variables".
Old March 28th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #5
Djuro Emedji
Slovenia

I think (I hope I'm not wrong), V3 doesn't support CAN network variables, it supports only UDP network variables.

You have to write your own mechanism in order to communicate between v2.3 and v3 via CAN.
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #6
Cuno61
Netherlands

Djuro Emedji,

You are correct. V3 does not support network variables over CAN yet. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me it is not supported in v3 (yet?). They asked 3S but they couldn't tell when or if it will be supported in the future for v3.

I did however make the communication work between the 2 projects in v2 and v3. To accomplish communication, you have to create a CAN local device in the v3 project. Edit he I/O area and then generate the EDS file. Import that EDS file in v2 and configure the settings. Afterwards, you should be able to communicate over CAN.
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #7
AMarks95
United States

It's been 8 years, think CoDeSys supports CAN variables yet? If so how do I communicate CAN variables between a V2.3 project and a V3.5 project? If not, how do I setup the local CAN device?
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum