You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #1
JoseM
United States

SLC 5/04 and RIO Comm...Help

A lot of the equipment in our facility is using DH+ over RIO to talk to other PLC's in the production line.

The question I have is if its possible to figure out how addresses are correlated between two PLC's that are talking via RIO.

The other question is if you could tell which PLC's are talking via RIO in any other way than following the DH+ connection between the two.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #2
alan_505
Australia

DH+ and RIO are 2 differnt AB networks they both use the blue cable but cannot be used together, the DH+ address is in the comms tab in the program, if you looked at each program you could map out each PLC's DH+ address's and then you would have to look in each program for message instuctions to see which PLC is talking to which PLC.

Alan
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #3
JoseM
United States

My apologies, you are right about the blue cable and the two different types of communication using it.

I'm looking at RIO communication in particular where the PLC uses RIO Scanner to talk. Now, how can I tell which address like an output in one PLC correlates to another address like an input on another PLC.

Specifically, I'm looking at how I can identify the address in both PLC.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Ron Beaufort
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Now, how can I tell which address like an output in one PLC correlates to another address like an input on another PLC.
the situation that you're describing is probably NOT what is going on in your system - at least the communication is probably not being handled over Remote I/O ...

suggestion:

pick two of the SLC-5/04 processors that you're most concerned with - and use those as examples ...

then post BOTH of those program files (RSS) here on the forum ...

2-B ?
Best regards, ----+----] [----+------------( )----
Ron | |
PLC Training Boot Camp | 2-B |
+----]/[----+

I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Last edited by Ron Beaufort; May 24th, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #5
todster
United States

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m013_-en-p.pdf You should actually start on page 1, but if you're in a hurry.....page 46 and on. Plenty of good reading here.
RIO is just that - Remote Input/Output.
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #6
JoseM
United States

I guess what I want to do is the following,

I want to trigger a message on a Panel View 600 on a machine that a control cabinet with an SLC 5/04 resides near by.

I uploaded the screen and check the messages and the address that triggers the message, are located on the PLC sitting near by.

The equipment where the conditions which are going to trigger the alarm is located on another floor and there is a PLC cabinet near by that I think talks to the PLC mention prior but I'm not certain of it.

This is where I will like to determine if these two PLC's that have 1747-SN modules, if they are actually talking via RIO.
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
dmargineau
United States

I don't believe the two CPUs are RIO linked since Universal RemoteI/O is a local area network designed to connect controllers to remote I/O chassis and a variety of intelligent devices such as operator interfaces and AC or DC drives, Master/Slave and not Peer-to-Peer.
More likely, if the two SLCs are "blue-hose" connected, they are communicating via DataHighway Plus (DH+). If this is true, you could simply MSG the alarms tags between the two processors and replicate the initial HMI application alarm setup within the "receiving" terminal HMI application.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #8
JoseM
United States

Thank you for the clarification. Now,I just notice that the two PLC's I'm looking into are not actually talking via DH+.

Can I make them talk through DH+. I know for a fact that all the PLC's in this facility are on a DH+ network that allows me to access anyone of them anywhere in the plant.

So, you think that all I have to do is configure the MSG instruction correctly and that's it.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #9
dmargineau
United States

Browse the DH+ network with RSLinx.
If you could "see" both SLCs then you could MSG data in-between.
The alarms on any HMI application are generated within the PLC controller the application is related to.
You could MSG this data to the controller the target HMI is linked to, either directly to the HMI Alarms configured addresses or to a different(unused) data table. The latter will require the editing of the HMI application accordingly though.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #10
JoseM
United States

They are both in the DH+ network and the PLC closest to the Panel View 600 is talking to it via RIO. So, I could use remote I/O to trigger the alarm ones the MSG is related from one PLC to the other.

Can you help me understand this three lines of code. Thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MSG PIC.jpg (15.3 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by JoseM; May 25th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #11
JoseM
United States

Smile

Never mind, I was able to figure it out.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #12
JeffKiper
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

dmargineau just a side note. AB did have a module that allows peer to peer comms it is either a1746 or 1747-DCM. I used 6 or 7 years ago to bridge a 5/03 to a 5/04. It worked was it pretty? No. Did it work? Yes.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum