SmartGuard Safety Controller & DeviceNET Safety IO

Hey guys.

I have a project where I am working with DeviceNET Remote Safety IO for the first time. Specifically, the 1791DS-IB16 module.

The controller is an 1752-L24BBBE, which I have used by itself with it's own Local IO before without issue.

I have added the Remote Safety IO module to my project in RSNetWorx for DeviceNET and have added a safety connection for the module on the properties page for the SmartGuard Controller.

However I can't figure out how to assign names/comments to the input points for the Remote IO module.

When I am in the logic editor and want to use the remote inputs, they show up as Pt00Data_C01, Pt01Data_C01, Pt02Data_C01, etc.

I want to assign meaningful names to these points, so that for example Pt00Data_C01 and PT01Data_C01 would be EStop 1 CH1, EStop1 CH2.

I can assign Names/Comments to my Local IO without any issues.

I've attached my project for reference.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Brendan

I have used this controller a good number of times and it is one
Of the items that I hate. The controller I think is very good but
It had some major faults and this is just one. A way around it is use
A comment block and place it above the I/o .

Donnchadh

A way around it is use A comment block and place it above the I/o .
Careful with this... I don't believe the comment blocks are stored in the controller. In other words, if you upload the project out of the controller without a matching file on the PC, you'll lose the comments.

I remember going through all this a few years ago with a SmartGuard/CompactBlock setup. A great system but not without a few flaws as have been mentioned.

Thanks for the replies.

A bit of a design oversight, for sure.

Can imagine it would get quite confusing once there is a few remote IO modules used.

I'm using the comment block solution for now, thanks Donnchadh.

Hi Brendan

No problem. I just used my first logix l62 S processor and it's
Very good much better (y)than the smart guard but a lot harder
On the pocket.

Donnchadh