You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old June 30th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Tom1
United States

Allen Bradley RIO

I have looked through prior threads and think I have found the answer in a 2002 post but I'm going to post my problem anyway and see what you guys think.

I have a SLC 500 (5/04) in a 10 slot rack, in slot 9 I have a 1747-SN.
The remote module is a 10 slot chassis with a 1747-ASB in slot 0, it has a 4 channel analog input card in slot 1, 4 channel analog output card in slot 2, a 120 volt 16 point digital input card in slot 3 and a 8 point digital output card in slot 4 that is DC i believe.

Here is the issue, SN card Comm flashes red, ASB card flashes green but displays ADE. This unit was set up about ten years ago and not by me or the company I work for, I don't know how long its been down to be honest but I need it up now because I need to read my DI's for a new purpose. Nothing is wired to the analog I/O's or the 8 point output card. But I can't read my DI's.

The G file is set up as rack 0, group 0 = full rack, I know that on the ASB my switches are as follows:
SW1:11111111
SW2:?
SW3:?
I can get this info in a few days for switch 2 & 3 but I honestly can't remember and right now I'm not on site. Do you guys have an idea to my problem? Blue hose is good but no resistors were installed, I don't know for sure what switch 2 & 3 should be either.

This problem eluded me all day yesterday and I hate to spend months trying to resolve it the cabinet was built for future growth but if I can't get RIO working I'm thinking of changing out the ASB to a processor and doing away with the SN and putting that chassis on the DH+ with the rest of the SLC's.

Thanks for your help, I wish I was a little more familiar with RIO but I haven't had a bunch of experience with it.
Old June 30th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

It will be pretty hard for anybody to troubleshoot your systems with the info given.

Those that can help will need the dip switch positions on both modules.

You should install the termination resistors.

See links below for the manuals.

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m013_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m006_-en-p.pdf

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Tom1
United States

Sw1: 11111111
Sw2: 01011100
Sw3: 01110101

From memory and reading the manual, the SN is setup for 230k as well.
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Lancie1
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I had a similar setup once. The remote rack would sometimes lose power to the PLC CPU. This would cause loss of communications to the main SN module and somehow lock it out so that it would not ever restablish communications. To get it to work, you have to somehow reset everything. Kill power to both the main and remote, then restore the remote power, get it switched to RUN mode with no faults, then turn on the main PLC, switch it to RUN mode. Often this clears up the problem.
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Tom1
United States

I'll give that a try for sure, I'm just not sure the switches are setup right to the g file.
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Sw1: 11111111 Rack 0, Starting Group 0
Sw2: 01011100 230.4 kb/s, default Complementary chassis, 8 Group Size
Sw3: 01110101 Do not hold last state, Automatic Restart, Default Link Response Time, Not Last Chassis (default), 1/2 Slot Addressing, Block Transfer for Specialty Modules, Keying Saved

Slot 0 1747-ASB
Slot 1 1747-NI4
Slot 2 1747-NO4I
Slot 3 1747-IA16
Slot 4 1747-OB8
Slot 5,6,7,8,9 empty

The "1/2 Slot" Addressing Mode, along with Slot Pairing, allows you to operate 4-channel analog modules without block transfers, which is probably why the 1747-ASB was configured that way. This is described in the User Manual starting on page 3-10.

You should change SW3-7 to "Discrete Transfer" mode to go along with this configuration.

With the chassis defined as 8 Groups, and configured with 1/2 Slot Addressing, those four slots make up one Logical Rack.

A Logical Rack is 8 words of Input Data and 8 words of Output Data. Because the 1747-SN is in Slot 9 of your CPU chassis, these should be addressed as:

I:9.0 Analog Input Channel 0
I:9.1 Analog Input Channel 1
I:9.2 Analog Input Channel 2
I:9.3 Analog Input Channel 3
I:9.4 AC Input Bits 0-15
I:9.5 Reserved for previous slot
I:9.6 Not Used
I:9.7 Reserved for previous slot

O:9.0 Analog Output Channel 0
O:9.1 Analog Output Channel 1
O:9.2 Analog Output Channel 2
O:9.3 Analog Output Channel 3
O:9.4 Not Used
O:9.5 Reserved for previous slot
O:9.6 DC Output Bits 0-7
O:9.7 Reserved for previous slot

None of this explains the "AdE" code, though.

I suspect this RIO link was never in use; check the Slot Enable bits in the SLC-500 Status file to make sure Slot 9 is enabled.
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Tom1
United States

Thank you for clarifying some things Ken I was getting a little confused in AB's documents, I think that I checked slot enable on Friday but I will double check it tomorrow. I hope that I can get it talking Monday, I'm sure it's something simple to fix but it has me buffed and that's why I turned to the forums. You guys are throwing out some good ideas that I hadn't thought off and I do appreciate it.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Tom1
United States

Well so far this morning everything I try still results in "ade" message.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum