ACK and RESET in PLC

Hi friends
I have a doubt. What is the difference betwen Acknowledge aand RESET inputs in a PLC for the Alarms. How are they interlocked.
( for eg. if the operator sees an alarm flashing, he should first press the acknowledge button to notify that he had seen the alarm. then he has to rectify the fault and come back and press the RESET button to clear the alarm)
Am i correct or does they have any other meaning/ functions in the alarm panel.
please advice
thanks
chitra

There are two parts to your question: #1 - acknowledge, #2 - reset.

i am speaking in general terms.
when a machine faults it generates to signals. an alarm and a fault.

the alarm signal alerts you and others to the problem and when you hit the acknowledge button, you are telling the system that you have read the message and are acknowledging the problem.

you or maintenance will then go find the problem. when the problem is found, take the appropriate steps to fix the problem safely.

reset is when you are resetting the fault logic. depending od your code, you have found the problem and must reset the fault in order to fix the problem, you have found and fixed the problem, or you must reset the fault, home the machine to fix the problem, or something similar.

i hope this helps,
james