You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 1st, 2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Karac
United States

Automation Direct passwords

I've just recieved a call from a prospective client. It seems they've had a parting of the ways with the guy who was doing their programming and on the way out he stuck a password on their model 440 DL405.

I've never worked on that particular model, and I've never used the password option. Can anyone give me an idea of what is locked - can I even view the ladder logic, or would it be completely battened down?

Also, is there a semi-reasonable way to crack that password - say less than 8 hours? Well, a way other than getting the number of the guy who did it and just buying the number.
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM   #2
bernie_carlton
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Totally locked down

Buy the number or start rewriting. All that AutomationDirect can do is wipe the CPU.

Threats of massive lawsuits sometimes helps.

www.thePLCguy.com
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3
jkerekes
United States

No one here is going to discuss passwork cracks period. Even waht for sounds like a resonable request. I don't know anything about Automation Direct, but I imagine that you can't go online with it. the company need to persue the person yo changed the password, and if need be start crimminal proceedings against him. That's a form of sabotage.
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
The Plc Kid
United States

It can be unlocked but it would be tough to get Automation Direct to do so. The passwords are known by a few integrators so ask around and you may get lucky but they are not as well known as the passwords for AB and some others.

It can be unlocked though trust me.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM   #5
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Plc Kid View Post

It can be unlocked though trust me.
I would pay money for it.... I buy a ton of used equipment and every other manufacture has a way to wipe out the memory or you can flash it and clear everything but not AD, I have 10 250-1 and a few 260's in a box waiting until I get a few more, they all have passwords and no way to just clear them, I normally get about 15 then send them all in and have them cleared, its just a pain
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:20 PM   #6
bce123
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
all have passwords and no way to just clear them
I know of at least 1 case where I cleared a 450 processor I don't remember it being top secret AD walked me through it! Thinking back I may of been The first person If not one of the first to use one of these? It,s been a while!
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:48 PM   #7
jrwb4gbm
United States

Info in the manual says the PW is 8 digits, each one is from 0 to 9. You might try guessing a few common ones such as 00000001 or 12345678. Who knows, you might get lucky.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:38 AM   #8
rpoet
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwb4gbm View Post
Info in the manual says the PW is 8 digits, each one is from 0 to 9. You might try guessing a few common ones such as 00000001 or 12345678. Who knows, you might get lucky.
Unless the PLC has to talk with anything else, such as an HMI. In that case, the first "digit" is 'A' followed by seven digits.

I've seen several cases where the PW was A[phone number]. ie. A1234567

YMMV

-rpoet
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Lancie1
United States

From the DL-06 AD manual:
Quote:
Warning: Make sure you remember your password. If you forget your password you will not be able to access the cpu. The Automation Direct plc must be returned to the factory to have the password (along with the ladder project) removed. It is the policy of Automation Direct to require the memory of the plc to be cleared along with the password.

Last edited by Lancie1; August 2nd, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum