Current v's Voltage

TIDY

Can anyone tell me what the advanatges and disadvantages of current and voltage inputs and outputs for plcs, and the differences between the two? nice one, cheers!!!!!!

yeah nice one, seriously though!
its for a project you see and i know nought about it!

TIDY-
I generally decreases my faith in the human condition when a question like this is posed. It shows lack of effort and forethought regardless of whether one or both of those things are true. List what you know about this topic and narrow the scope of your question. You'll get alot better response. And, yes, the Internet is supposed to be a source for stuff like this. However, your topic has reams of written text on it already. You might be able to find something quicker on Google than wait for someone here to answer.

'Guest'-
It's bad form to take shots at people and remain anonymous. that's what terrorists do. Sack up and sign in.

Keith

So, just to clarify, is that:

'No, I don't know anything about this subject'
or
'No, I didn't expend any effort or use any forethought'

Just curious.

Keith

don't know a thing about it, its ok now i know wat it is, i just copied someones, easy peasy!

I suppose I'll try a little, seems to me with all the typing going on trying a little is just that.

Current Inputs/Outputs
Typically more electrical noise/interference resistant. A more robust method. In some PLC like A-B current I/O vrs. Voltage usually offers more resolution ie. 32767 instead of 4095 (bit resolution).
Can typically be used in longer wire runs. Harder to troubleshoot in the field. (must use inline current meter to monitor activity)

Voltage Inputs/Outputs
Not very noise immune. Shorter wire lengths do to resistance in wire vrs. noise. It is easy to implement and troubleshoot (simple voltage meter to monitor activity). Most PLCs only offer 12 bit resolution of 4095 max.

Hope this helped
Bitmore

Tidy,

Sometimes it's easier to understand electrical phenomena by comparing them to things you already understand. Quite often electrical terms are compared to fluid terms. Voltage is similar to the pressure in a pipe, whilst current is similar to the rate of fluid flow.

Consequently, voltage signals do a more accurate job of measuring physical phenomena like pressure, force, or weight. Current signals more accurately measure physical phenomema such as fluid flow (gallons per minute) or speed (miles per hour).

Don't take those other guys too seriously. They just like to harass students. As always, be sceptical of information you get over the internet.

I dont agree with what Guest did BUT

TIDY you, and those like you, are why the members here do NOT make an effort to answer questions like this. It is also the reason much of the ridiculing is done.

I take you learned alot that way, hopefully what the other student wrote was correct. Obtaining and turning in assignments in this fashion is lazy and non profitable. In due time some of this information will be needed at a later date.

Sad thing is you will probably graduate and do things....if this is a real indication of your character I hope its running the french fry machine at McDonald's.

What a waste of time and money.

"Up Yours?"

That must be an example of a current input--cause it shocked me.

Wonder how much help you get when you ask questions that way? We might need a banner across the new posts page that asks "Have you tried to help yourself first?"