Compact Logix L32E/L30ER printing to Ethernet Printer(Zebra)

plc_va

I am looking for some feedback or recommendations on being able to print from 1769-L32E to an Ethernet Zebra Printer.

Any examples of your setup and/or code would be greatly appreciated.

Probably most of us are not familiar with that Printer.

Can you Post a Link to the Manual?

Does it support Ethernet CIP?

Stu....

Dont know if this helps?

Example of sending commands via VB/C# TCP/IP

string ipAddress = "10.3.14.42";
int port = 9100;

// ZPL Command(s)
string ZPLString =
"^XA" +
"^FO50,50" +
"^A0N50,50" +
"^FDHello, World!^FS" +
"^XZ";

The topic of Zebra printer interfacing comes up pretty regularly, and I'm surprised we don't have samples somewhere in the archives.

As I understand it, Zebra printers have their own protocol, both over serial and over TCP/IP. They don't implement an industrial application protocol, like Modbus or CIP.

The 1769-L30ER has the ability to use the Socket Object to send generic string data over Ethernet. The 1769-L32E doesn't, and would instead need some sort of converter or interface.

I would start with a simple terminal program like RealTerm and make sure that the Zebra will respond to the bytes you send over TCP/IP using that tool, and then start working on messaging using the Socket Object in the 1769-L30ER.

Backstep to RS-232 (for now)

ASCII 9600,N,*,1

We have been using those syle of printers with Micrologix, and CompactLogix for several years.

The printer only has Ethernet conectivity for a PC based application where the PC has a "driver" installed.

That printer also has an "old-school" D-Sub 9, RS-232 ASCII 9600,N,8,1 port.

Find some enconomical port from your CompactLogix, and use ASCII string writes out to a serial port to get your printer to make labels. If you are determined to use ethernet, then put a RTA ASCII Gateway in where the RTA polls a string in the compact logix via Ethernet, and reforms to ASCII to serial to the printer.

The strings in the PLC look like:
^XA (Start Label)
~SD20 (Set Print darkness to 20)
^FO110,50 (Field Origin 110,50)
^ADN (Set Font to D with normal orientation)
^FDYour Text here (Field Data -- actully will print "Your Test Here"
^XZ (end label and print)

There is ready information from Zebra on ZPL or EPL ASCII commands to generate labels with barcodes, and human readable text.

It is a slow start, but once you get your first label, you will be "off to the races", and subsequent projects will fall into line rapidly.

Plastic, Yeah we have been using the RTA black boxes, and they work well. Was just hoping there was another way going directly ethernet, so we would not have to spend the $800 for RTA.

Ken, On the socket object, can you specify a port number?

I might have an upcoming project where I need to print to a Zebra printer for batching info. Did you ever get this to work on Ethernet? I'm just seeing waht my options are.

Succed, printing on a zebra printer over Ethernet

If someone need the PLC example i can send it to you, [email protected]. I made it work on a Micrologix 1400, now working on the Compactlogix.

A lot of memory is consumed by the way.

The L32E does not have TCP socket communications. However, use a simple device server to convert serial to Ethernet. The Antaira STE-601C has worked well and it's easy to configure. Any standard printer that can take Raw Telnet, Port 9100 protocol will work.

What's important to know in reverse is that the latest AB processors may not have serial since they phased this feature out of all ControlLogix and CompactLogix processors. They do have Ethernet TCP socket printing. If there is a serial kiosk printer installed, you can convert the Ethernet to serial and forget using an ASCII card. What's nice about the new processors is that multiple printers can be connected to the same processor also.

I find that is helps to slow the message output of each string to about 100ms per line.

Use the L81E, not the L71

The L71 does not have an Ethernet connection by default. The TCP Socket communication instructions must be executed by an Ethernet communication card that can perform TCP socket message instructions. Either the 1756-EN2** or 1756-EWEB modules will do this which increase the expense of the system.

Instead of the L71, it is preferred to use the L81E. Is is similar to the new CompactLogix (L30ER,L33ER,...) controllers which have an Ethernet com port built in with TCP socket communication abilities. In many cases, the communication card can be eliminated altogether.