You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 4th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Nametag
Canada

Panelview 1000 updating Floats

Hello this is my first post go easy on me please.

I am having an issue with a panelview 1000 (2711-T10G1) i am getting an error "661 Timeout- no block transfer writes" The panelview communicates with the 1747-L532c/d 5/03 CPU through a 1747-sn RIO Scanner. There is also a Wonderware PC/HMI connected to the programming port on the PLC communicating through (DF-1 I think) But The Wonderware updates with no issues. Level is polled by wonderware and a Volume calculation is done and sent back to the plc and then written to the panelview. The #F and #N are COP to #M0 to write to the panelview instead of BTW because BTW is not supported. The #N seem to update on the panelview but the #F do not.

If power is cycled to the panelview or i restart from the system pages the floats will update once but not continuously. If I disconnect the Wonderware PC, the Panelview Will update the last value calculated in Wonderware and I can change the value in rslogix500 data table and it updates on the panelview.
I changed one of the read/write registers in wonderware and then MOV it to the register written to the panelview in case the read/write tags in wonderware was the issue but did not make a difference. Also the operators tell me this problem comes and goes for months at a time....

In the panelview
Comm Setup. RIO
type: slc5/03 os302 1747-sn series b
Rack: 2
Module : 6,7 box is checked
last chassis: checked
baud rate: 230400
block transfer addresses line up

PLC Chan0 - System
DF1- full duplex
Baud: 9600
Parity: none
Stop bits: 1
Source ID: 9
No Handshaking
Error Detection : CRC
Embedded responses : Enabled
Duplicate packet detect is checked

Chan0- User
ASCII
Baud: 9600
Parity: none
Stop bits: 1
data bits : 8
no handshaking
delete mode: ignore

chan1- system
DH485
Baud: 19200
node address: 1
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

There's probably either a noise problem on the RIO cable, or something wrong with the Block Transfer Write logic in the SLC.

You'd have to post the whole SLC-500 program for an experienced user to have a look if you want to pursue this as a community troubleshooting project.

Do the BTW error message and the "data not updating" issues seem to happen at the same time, or are they separate occurrences ?
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Nametag
Canada

Do the BTW error message and the "data not updating" issues seem to happen at the same time, or are they separate occurrences ?

The issues are at the same time, the error "pops-up" about every two minutes or so. When the wonderware pc is disconnected the error does not come up and i can enter values in the data viewer and the panelview updates.

I have uploaded the .rss file
Attached Files
File Type: zip RIO comm issue.zip (140.3 KB, 3 views)
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Nametag
Canada

How would one troubleshoot noise on the RIO cable?
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Lancie1
United States

Quote:
The issues are at the same time, the error "pops-up" about every two minutes or so.
I seem to remember that type of error happens when one device is "faster" than the other. Some message bits can be lost. Your Panelview is set at 230400 baud, which is much faster than the PLC.
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Ken Roach
United States

There can't be a speed mismatch: RIO won't work at all if the devices aren't set for the correct data rate.

The 1747-SN has some diagnostic information in the M1 file that you can copy out of it periodically and examine in controller memory. It's described in the 1747-SN User Manual starting on page 4-23. Of particular interest to you should be the Retry Counters, described on page 4-30.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum