FTView ME Alarms

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I am working on a FT View ME 7.0 Project and I am having issues with the alarms. I couldn't get the ALARM page that comes with the project to work at all so I created my own ALARM_PAGE. I can see the alarms in my new page but when I press the Ack Alarm button the display closes and I have to go back and forth to ACK all the alarms. I want to be able to ACK all the alarms and still see the alarm screen. I don't want it to close till I hit the close button.

I did a search and found a posting of someone that had the same issue a few years ago and I have tried the suggestions listed with no luck.

Hopefully someone has found a solution since then that works. Please let me know your thoughts.

I have attached the .mer file if need to look at what i have done.

FYI: I have played around with it a little more and got the Alarm banner to work so now I am using the Alarm_Page as a history page.

If any has any comments on my project please let me know. This is my first FT project up till now I have only used Red Lion Crimson.

So what exactly is your question ? I'm a little confused.

There's a pre-defined Display in FactoryTalk View called [ALARMS], and the application is configured to open that Display (as an on-top display) when a new Alarm occurs.

This is done in the Alarm Setup -> Advanced Tab, where you select the Display to open to show Current Alarms.

You don't have to use this ! You can choose to create your own displays, or not use the automatic Display Open function.

I just created a quick display test and see the same thing; as soon as I ACK the alarm, the popup closes. Hmm.

If you want somebody to look at your project, provide it as an Archive (*.APA) file. I only have FTView 6.10 right now but will be installing v7.0 on a Windows 7 virtual machine later this week.

Last edited:
Were you talking about Knowledgebase article 32956 (TechConnect Required) ?

That tells me there's a PanelView setting that allows the [ALARMS] display to close after the most recent Alarm is Acknowledged. It's actually set up on the PanelView configuration screens, not in the FTView ME project file.

I found in my test project that if the first thing I did was click F1 Acknowledge that the popup closed. If I Cleared the alarm first, then F1 Acknowledge did not close the popup.

I am not a fan of FactoryTalk View alarming. It seems like it was cobbled together out of various requirements documents and the unresizable Alarm editor itself is proof that the developers want to inflict pain on users.

Sorry for the confusion Ken!!
Here is what happened:

I went through the Alarm Setup with a DINT that I have set up for alarms. I had it set up to use the [ALARM] page that is the "stock" one. I couldn't get it to display any alarms at all. Plus it was way too big to display on the PV+600 I am using. It just went off the screen.

So I made my own alarm view page called ALARM_PAGE. I set it up using the Alarm Objects. It seemed to display the alarms but when I would press the ACK button the display would close just as you noted. To ACK all the alarms I would have to open the ALARM_PAGE and press the ACK button again and it would close again. I would have to do this over and over again to ACK all the alarms. What a PITA!!

I then did a search on the Forum and found a post that asked about the same issue. The post never really showed that the issue was resolved. kind of just "faded away". That is what I was talking about.

After I did my post I started tinkering around with the project. I removed the [ALARM] page. I then right clicked on Displays and added a Component into the Application. I then added the [ALARM] page from a different project. This one was scaled to the proper size for the PV600. When I tested the Application the [ALARM] page would show up properly. It would display one alarm at a time and after I ACK'ed them all it closed. I changed my ALARM_PAGE to just be a Alarm History Page.

It works now but you are correct Alarms with the FT View is a major PITA. It is like they thought of the most complicated way to do something and said that is too easy, we need to make it harder. I like the way Red Lion does it!!

The .mer file is actually a V5.10 file as that is newest rev available for the PV+600 that I can find. How do you create a .apa file? I couldn't find it in the folder with the project.

To create backup

1. Close your application project
2. In FT View -> Tools -> Application Manager -> Backup

Regards

Hi everyone,
I am working on a FT View ME 7.0 Project and I am having issues with the alarms. I couldn't get the ALARM page that comes with the project to work at all so I created my own ALARM_PAGE. I can see the alarms in my new page but when I press the Ack Alarm button the display closes and I have to go back and forth to ACK all the alarms. I want to be able to ACK all the alarms and still see the alarm screen. I don't want it to close till I hit the close button.

I did a search and found a posting of someone that had the same issue a few years ago and I have tried the suggestions listed with no luck.

Hopefully someone has found a solution since then that works. Please let me know your thoughts.

I have attached the .mer file if need to look at what i have done.

Don't know if this will help, but if I remember correctly the default behavior for the alarm screen which is called automatically when a new alarm occurs IS to close automatically when the user ack's one alarm. I also believe (as has been mentioned) there is a setting on the terminal to change this behavior, but as also has been mentioned it might be better to just make a dedicated alarm page the user can manually navigate to.

Hope this helps,