You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 12th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #1
ebolbol
United States

FactoryTalk View SE 7.0 to FT View SE 5.10 Problems

Hello gents,

Have you ever ran into this? You have two versions of FactoryTalk View SE, one is 7.0 and the other one is a much older version 5.10

You've developed a whole bunch of new screens in the 7.0 you would like to export to the 5.10 and during the import, 5.10 gives you a whole bunch of import errors. When you try the "Add component into app" method (i.e. *.gfx files) you also get errors.

Yes why don't I just upgrade the 5.10 to 7.0... well... logistically it's complicated... as a main supervisory workstation, I'm not able to disable that machine any time soon... but long term, upgrade is in order.

any thoughts?

thanks
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #2
DBLD99
United States

It is pretty standard with most software you can take stuff that is created in a new version backwards. You could create the screens in 5.10 - then import them into 7.00.
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #3
ebolbol
United States

FactoryTalk View SE 7.0 to FT View SE 5.10 compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLD99 View Post
It is pretty standard with most software you can take stuff that is created in a new version backwards. You could create the screens in 5.10 - then import them into 7.00.
yeah... at the time I made the screens I didn't think they would be as heavily used as they have proved, so I didn't build them on the main supervisory machine which is the 5.10... had I but known, I definitely would have done it on the 5.10 and exported them to the 7.0... now it's too dreadful to have to do all that again manually

there has got to be a way to convert the xml to be compatible with 5.10

Last edited by ebolbol; December 12th, 2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: error
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #4
leighigh
United States

Have you tried just opening the 5.1 with 7.0 then just copy the new screens to your Appication. Them When your done just save your run file as a 5.1 ver. then down load it to the HMI.
Old December 13th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #5
rdrast
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighigh View Post
Have you tried just opening the 5.1 with 7.0 then just copy the new screens to your Appication. Them When your done just save your run file as a 5.1 ver. then down load it to the HMI.
SE isn't ME. It doesn't work that way.

The easiest thing is probably going to be simply recreate the displays in 5.1, and always edit on that platform from now on.

Look First, Ask Second!

Old December 13th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #6
ADoozer
Australia

What errors are you getting?

My assumption is the errors relate to old/missing controls in V5.10... If this is the case you could try manually massaging the export xml file to "fix" the issue.

I have done this a few times while migrating between different production system versions (albeit never from V7). It's a pain in the *** but with a bit of playing it can be done.

(Ps I use XML Copy Editor for manipulating the XML)

Regards Dave
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #7
ebolbol
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighigh View Post
leighigh,

Well there is no HMI downloading involved here as this is Site Edition "stand-alone" that is resident on the workstation(tower) that it runs on.

I think once you open an older version, or copy it into the new application, it converts everything to the newer file structure and can't revert back. I will try what you said... I will copy a couple of GFX's from 5.1 to 7.0 folder in explorer and try to open from within Studio to see what it does...
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #8
ebolbol
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrast View Post
SE isn't ME. It doesn't work that way.

The easiest thing is probably going to be simply recreate the displays in 5.1, and always edit on that platform from now on.

rdrast,

I think you're right... even though RA can easily make newer versions backward compatible, it's a matter of economics and $$$ I'm sure... they want people to upgrade, which is fine.
Old December 13th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #9
ebolbol
United States

FactoryTalk View SE 7.0 to FT View SE 5.10 compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoozer View Post
What errors are you getting?

My assumption is the errors relate to old/missing controls in V5.10... If this is the case you could try manually massaging the export xml file to "fix" the issue.

I have done this a few times while migrating between different production system versions (albeit never from V7). It's a pain in the *** but with a bit of playing it can be done.

(Ps I use XML Copy Editor for manipulating the XML)

Regards Dave
ADoozer,

I have Notepad++ and it allows me to edit XML

so initially I thought it was an easy change, when I got msg1 "Gfx-SE6.xsd' schema could not be found." I simply opened the XML file and changed SE6 to SE4 because that's how 5.10 xmls have. After doing that, I got msg2??? (both msg's attached)
Attached Files
File Type: txt error msg 1.txt (538 Bytes, 141 views)
File Type: txt error msg 2.txt (1.8 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by ebolbol; December 13th, 2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum