Questions about software use in resume

matthew1

Hello,

I know this is a forum about programming. So forgive me I just wanted some input on what should be included on a resume. Looking to move to another company and revising my resume. The company I’m with now uses more types of software than any other place I have worked before. Not just different vendor but also version inside of the same vendor. Most of the software I have had to work with quite a bit.

That being said should each version of software be included in my summary? Example would be

Indramat/Rexroth Software packages:
· Visual motion 5™
· Visual motion 6™
· DriveTop v16™
· DriveTop v4™
· Indralogic™
· Indraworks™
Would it be better to just list the vendor and if there is a call for interview worry about versions if asked? Don’t really want my resume to be to long and bulky. However I do want to convey experience.

Thank you for your time,

Matthew

I guess if it were me.. I would list them and add versions after if was a major change.

eg.
Visual Motion 5,6
Drive Top 4,16

Unless there is a major difference in the software.. maybe just listing the software would cover all bases. Since the "learning curve" is minimal between.

If someone sent an app.. for a job and it said Wonderware... I would not question what version but more likely how much experience with it, programming/trouble shooting/development.

I would just list the software by name - e.g., Wonderware, Logix500, Logix5000. As somebody who occasionally has to read those resumes, believe me it is not impressive and is in fact somewhat annoying to see a software list that is half a page long when it could be a paragraph.

Paul T

As someone who hires technical people, I'm generally looking for people who have knowledge and experience in a particular field, have a logical mind and can adapt. Too much emphasis on particular tool, in a resume, is generally a negative. I more typically am impressed by someone who has demonstrated the ability to program PLCs, HMI/SCADA, motion, etc. I would dig into the particular tools in the interview.

Doing too much listing of particular programming packages early on tells me that you are thinking from the tools out - not the application first, then deciding the tools to use to best accomplish the task.

As someone who hires technical people, I'm generally looking for people who have knowledge and experience in a particular field, have a logical mind and can adapt. Too much emphasis on particular tool, in a resume, is generally a negative. I more typically am impressed by someone who has demonstrated the ability to program PLCs, HMI/SCADA, motion, etc. I would dig into the particular tools in the interview.

Doing too much listing of particular programming packages early on tells me that you are thinking from the tools out - not the application first, then deciding the tools to use to best accomplish the task.

Well said.....I wish the person hiring people around here took more of your approach.

Unfortunatly from my personal experience the person doing the hiring has no sweet clue what automation is or what any trade entails for that matter. I have mentioned to our hiring manager a few times to take one of the shops own guys for new interviews but he refuses. It would make life easier when we wouldn't have to over and over train guys that end up leaving a month down the road because its not what they signed up for or they get canned for not knowing the necessary stuff.
When he interviewed me for my position he actually asked me what RSLogix was. How can he determine if I am fit for the position if he doesn't even know what software our plant is using? We just lost another guy this week, hence the reason for ranting!
Good day all!

Unfortunately, Velociraptor isn't like most potential employers, at least in my experience.

If the advertisement mentions a particular program and/or version, make sure you list it in your resume (you are tailoring your resume to each position, aren't you?). Many companies are using keyword searching and/or non-technical HR people to winnow the resumes down.

Hello all and thank you for the replies.

@ Velociraptor Thank you for the breakdown. That is the reason I asked what other people have seen or do personally. I could see the paragraph of software being a pain. I have always been told 2.5 pages total including the cover page max.

@ Timbert Yes I’m tailoring my resume to the position. The company uses Indramat extensively. After I finished my resume revision the software seemed a bit over the top. I will defiantly trim down for the keyword search and as you suggest then handling specific software in the interview process should that occur.

Thanks again for the input everyone

Matthew

I agree with velociraptor. If the employer isn't like velociraptor I would look for another employer that knows what he is doing.

How many times have I pointed out that we use tools to get a job done but tools change.
My Mathcad is obsolete. :( I am going to get Mathematica soon.

I like people that have done their own projects in the field. I want people with 'forever knowledge' and have 'the knack'. I would be interested in the projects done and if a language is mentioned I would ask why that language was chosen. I am interested in how problems were solved. Did the language make the problem easier to solve?

If some one lists 10 languages I know he can't know all or many of them well.

It's always been my understanding, that the resume is suppose to be a summary. Something quick for whoever to look at, to determine if you are qualified for an interview or the next stage. Likewise, I have always heard, that it is best to keep a resume to 1 page if possible.

With that being said, you should also have multiple resume's for different types of positions (and possibly employers). If an ad focuses on a particular software, and you have experience with it, you probably should emphasize it in your resume. Otherwise it may be best left to a cover letter and interview. I don't think that versions of software are as important unless the company focuses on obsolete equipment.

I have noticed that schools now want to train their students on multiple softwares, so they can list them all on their resumes. The result is that the students are familiar with the software, but cannot use any of them well (don't understand the programming). Likewise, someone may work in a factory and had their hands on everything, but where nothing more than bit twiddlers, and couldn't troubleshoot or design a system to save their life.

I would focus on what you have done, unless the ad emphasizes something specific. Resume's are an art, and sometimes you do have to make it past the HR person, to get to the person who is actually doing the hiring. It can be a balancing act, between using key words, and showing that you actually know what you are doing.