iFix 5.5 Client Com issue

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
Background:

One iFix Server connect to one iClient. IGS is used as the OPC server (rebadged Kepware). The client would lose communication from time to time and even when it's working the communication seems flaky. Ping from the client machine to server seems fine and Proficy Historian client on the client machine also works fine. All other type of communication seems good.

I'm a bit lost on what my next step should be. I'm not sure how exactly a iClient take to the SCADA server. I'm assuming it's talking to the OPC server on the server machine?

- So would be using a OPC test client (like OPC Explorer from Matrikon) be useful?
- If I tap in with wireshark, what would I be looking for?

Kepware is used to allow the server to talk to the PLC. I don't think it is involved at all in the client to server comms. At least I cant see how that would work.
I know that doesn't really help, but I would look other places than the kepware component.

After I did more reading in the included eBook I would agree. The client just do a database sync to the server via TCP. The document suggests using included TCPtest and NETdiag. Well, wish me luck.

Thats the tools that support would ask for. They are more suited to the iFix support staff, but its a start. Maybe something will pop out.

There is also some diagnostic screens that come with iFix that once configures might help.

And think of what you will learn!

I would start with normal networking stuff, managed switches, firewalls anti-virus stuff like that. Nothing specific to iFix except latest SIMS. Its far more likely to be a PC networking thing rather than iFix specific.