You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old June 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #1
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

OT: WAY OT... How small we are

Saw this the other day and want to share it... not that its the first time I have thought about it, but now that I am getting a little older every day I am starting to think about things a little different.

This is a new released image from the Hubble that is done in color, so its really nice picture but the way they explained it was hold a dime up at arms length and this is the volume of the picture, to cover every view with a dime is a lot of little times you are looking at

Each little blip on the picture is a universe and since the "Milky Way" is just a blip... I find this very cool to think about.

This is a link for the picture http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...14/27/image/a/

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rse_(JPEG).jpg

This is the best link... see if you can follow along left to right http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%28JPEG%29.jpg

I knew the first 4 but did not really think about how small our solar system was in the milky way and since the milky way is 100,000 light years across and has 300B (ish) stars and you can't even see the Milky Way in the Virgo Cluster... number 8 is just un-thinkable (or really cool to think about)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hubble 2014.jpg (131.9 KB, 383 views)
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #2
dmroeder
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Some beautiful words spoken by Carl Sagan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

If you haven't watched the original Cosmos series or the new on that just finished up on Sunday, I'd highly recommend it.

I find the cosmos endlessly fascinating. I watch/read anything that I can about it.
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #3
ndzied1
United States

http://bloggernorm.blogspot.com/2012/06/vastness.html
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms. There are better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of one's contributions to computer science." Donald Knuth
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Paully's5.0
United States

Years ago I remember watching a special on discovery about space, and they talked about one of these deep field Hubble images. I thought they said it had 2,500 galaxies in the image. And that image was equivalent to the size of a grain of sand, on your thumb, with your arm stretched out pointing towards the sky.

That grain of sand, against the sky contained 2,500 galaxies! Blew my mind!
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #5
dcooper33
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

To me there really is nothing more fascinating than the vastness of space.

When you think of how huge the average star is compared to our little speck of a planet, then think how that massive ball of fire is hopelessly dwarfed by the oceans of empty space between it and the next star! Conservative estimates put the number of stars in the observable universe at a few orders of magnitude higher than grains of sand in all the world's beaches and deserts... and yet there are nearly as many atoms in any one of those grains of sand as there are stars in the universe!
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #6
Peter Nachtwey
United States

I download and save that picture when I first saw it. I watch YouTube video on space in the summer time when TV shows are repeats.
Old June 11th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #7
ndzied1
United States

This one is a little dated but still very awesome:
http://youtu.be/0fKBhvDjuy0
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms. There are better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use of one's contributions to computer science." Donald Knuth
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #8
Gil47
New Zealand

If you have a Facebook account, the night sky photos from found at this link are awesome

https://www.facebook.com/markgphoto/photos_stream
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #9
jraef
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
Each little blip on the picture is a universe and since the "Milky Way" is just a blip... I find this very cool to think about.
Just to be picky, each of those is a GALAXY. The sum total collection of these galaxies, and everything around and between them, is the universe.
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #10
icky812
United States

For those that are not familiar with it, APOD (Astronomy Picture Of the Day) has a fantastic new picture every day. http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

There are APOD apps for Apple and Android as well.
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #11
curlyandshemp
Canada

What if our entire universe is just a grain of sand on a beach in some other universe?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me..
than have a frontal lobotomy
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #12
dmroeder
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyandshemp View Post
What if our entire universe is just a grain of sand on a beach in some other universe?

Old June 11th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #13
boardmaker
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyandshemp View Post
I remember in grade school science being taught that there is nothing smaller than an electron.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the universe was part of a larger entity. That entity may be part of an even larger entity. Who knows?

The part that breaks my heart is that I know we will never really get to explore any of it in my lifetime. It will be a very long time before we could ever fathom how to leave our solar system. The biggest hurdle being a lack of a significant energy source among many other things.
Old June 11th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Lancie1
United States

Quote:
The part that breaks my heart is that I know we will never really get to explore any of it in my lifetime.
Don't bet on that. Out of all the billions of star systems, there are probably millions that contain life, and many that have life similar to us, and a bunch that are more advanced and have been exploring space for thousands of years, and even some that have visited here - not with rockets but with quantum space/time travel through gates. All we need to do is to contact those beings and find out how they do it.

I suspect that they don't think we are yet ready or able to handle such technology.
Old June 11th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #15
gbradley
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmaker View Post
...It will be a very long time before we could ever fathom how to leave our solar system. ...
Technically, Voyager has left the building.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...2sep_voyager1/
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum