1769-SDN DeviceNet issues

stallone

Hi All,

I went to a customer yesterday and found the scanner on the rack (1769-SDN) to be faulty (solid red network led, error 91.

Checked all connections and cabling and decided to replace the scanner module.

As i plugged in the new scanner module the network light was flashing green and had the numbers 63 and 75 flashing on the module.

I opened rsnetworx for deviceNet and uploaded the old scanner config.scan list.

with the new scanner in, i tried to download the scanner list but just seem to be having problems.
I first battled forever trying to change the node address and sorted this out after finding the correct eds file.

I am using rsnetworx which says i do not have copy protection so it limits me to 6 nodes in demo mode.

Do you think this will prevent me from uploading/downloading the full node scanner list?

At the moment i go online fine in rsnetworx but it only uploads first 6 nodes and then just skips the rest.

im knew to this and learning as i go, please excuse the repetition:)

Just to update, i managed to load my activation and im not using demo mode now.

But how can i upload the full configuration if the old scanner has a network issue?

You are correct that the un-licensed version of RSNetworx for DeviceNet software will only upload or configure Nodes 0 through 5.

You cannot upload a larger scanlist with that software, nor create a larger project with that software. You need the licensed version to work with a scanlist that has more than 5 slave devices.

You should be able to connect to the old scanner over the controller backplane (if you are using a CompactLogix built in in the last 7 years or so), but I can't guarantee that you can upload via that path.

Thank you Ken Roach, i managed to get my licensed copy to work and i no longer get the error of demo version, etc.

My next question is this, i need to upload the current scan list from my old scanner, does the scanner in fact hold the full scan list?

And then i want to download it to my new scanner.

Do i have to be connected to the network so it can see all devices on the network even if the old scanner was having a network issue?

I have a new scanner, also a 1769-SDN but the difference with the new one is the firmware revision. The old one was 2.1, the new one is 4.4

So if i managed to upload the current config/scan list from the old scanner, how do i add that to my new scanner?

The 1769-SDN holds the entire scanlist inside its flash memory.

You do not need to have the slave devices connected to get the Scanlist out of the Scanner.

When I am not sure about is whether or not you can upload from the Scanner without it being able to connect to the DeviceNet.

I know you can do it over the backplane with a 1756-DNB module, but I cannot say for certain about a 1769-SDN. It might make a difference which firmware is in the 1769-SDN, and which type of controller (MicroLogix 1500, or older CompactLogix, or newer CompactLogix) is connected to it.

Once you upload the scanlist from the old scanner, you should be able to download it to the new scanner.

I have the old scanner which was 1769-SDN firmware 2.1
the new scanner is 1769-SDN firmware 4.4
and its connected to the compactLogix L35E, firmware 1.6

so i go online and i upload from device then i save that config.

i then power off and change module, now i go back into rsnetworx but how do i change the adress of the new module and still be able to download the saved config to new module?

Change the address of the new module before you attempt to download to the 1769-SDN.

RSNetworx allows you to do this; I think you just right-click and select Node Commissioning. Cycle power once you've changed the Scanner from Node 63 to the appropriate Node number.

The Scanner doesn't really care what node number it is; you could use 63, or 0, or any other unused node number.

Thanks Ken, i managed to do just that. I battled a bit but eventually got it right.
I first went online with the old scanner, did an upload and then saved it and left the config/rsnetworx open,
i then powered off and replaced the module(the new one i used node commisioning tool to change the node address)
I put in the new module and then went online again with Rsnetworx and i got a pop up saying device mismatch for the different revision numbers, i clicked ok and it fixed the issue and then downloaded to device and what do you know it started communicating,

It then gave me an error of 80, which i eventually found out meant that my plc was not in run mode, changed to run anb bam all good.

thank you for you assistance.