Kinetix 350 Active Homing - Digital Input Not Assigned

CevinMoses

I am setting up a new application using older components: ControlLogix 1756-L63 CPU, 1756-EN2T Ethernet/IP card, RSLogix 5000 v20.11, Kinetix 350 rev 1.55. This is an upgrade of a system we had with a SLC500 and an Ultra 3000 indexing through an HSRV. The motor is directly coupled to a ball screw to move flat sheets of material to a sequence of positions for forming. I have the homing sequence set to actively home to a switch, forward bi-directional, and the switch is a normally closed switch wired into the IOD connector of the Kinetix 350. From the Status screen of the Axis Properties, I can change the state of the "Home" I/O by waving something metal in front of the proximity switch.

When I execute a MAH instruction, the ER bit comes on, and the Axis_Home.ERR parameter changes to 84. The ERR codes for Motion Instructions chart in Motion-RM002 says that it means this:

84 - The CIP drive device digital input is not assigned. - Drive Digital Input Not Assigned.

I cannot find any place to specify that the homing switch should be anything other than the IOD input, and it seems like this should be intuitive. On the Ultra drives, I had to specify one of the digital inputs as the homing switch, but this should be automatic, right? What am I missing?

There only things on the Homing Tab are:
Mode: Active
Position: 10.0 inches
Offset: 6.0 inches
Sequence: Switch
Limit Switch - Normally Closed
Direction - Forward Bi-Directional
Speed: 2.0 inches/s
Return Speed: 0.5 inches/s

There isn't anything on the Homing Tab that lets me specify where the homing switch signal comes from.

What model # of Kinetix are you using. I was looking an old job and the limit switch is wired directly to the drive on TB-1. Terminals 26 & 30. But I would check the documentation to verify.

Kinetix 350
2097-V34PR5-LM, Rev 1.55.
The homing switch is wired into the IOD connector, pin 30, which is the HOME_SW signal. Pin 26 is the common for that input. Again, I can see the state of the home switch change on the Status tab of the Axis Properties to coincide with the proximity switch that's wired into IOD 26 & 30, so I'm not sure what else it thinks it needs.

Last edited:
Does the axis move if you give it a motion direct command? Could that error message refer to the drive enable input?

I tried a MAJ and MAM move from the Tools>Motion>Direct Command window. I got similar results ("Clamps" is the name of the axis):
Motion Direct Commands - Clamps:3, Execution Error.MAM, (16#0005) The command tried to execute on an axis whose servo loop is not closed.

The Axis Configuration is set to Position Loop, and it's Application Type is Point-To-Point.

I have a separate input wired into IOD-29, which is the ENABLE signal. That's an output from the PLC, and I can see the ENABLE bit changing states on the Status tab of the axis properties to coincide with that PLC output to IOD-29 connection.

Also, the positive and negative overtravel limits are jumpered out, and the STO connector is jumpered out as well.

Last edited:
OK. I'm just thinking of things off the top of my head. Did you issue a MSO command to the axis first?

No, I didn't realize that was necessary. I tried it just now after your suggestion and RS-Logix said there was no error, but the drive showed an F54 - Excessive Position Error alarm. I went back to the axis properties and changed the Position Loop Error Tolerance from 0.0 to 0.1.

Ran the MSO again, an got a F10 - Inverter Overcurrent alarm, which could be a lot of things. I think I'll swap the motor out and see if there's a problem there. Everything to this point has looked like a drive parameter issue, independent of the motor, since I would get errors relating to I/O signals. I'll see what happens with a motor swap and post an update.

Last edited:
Ok, I've used two different motors now, and I consistently get a F35 - Bus Overvoltage alarm when I execute an MSO instruction. I tried flashing the firmware up to 1.58, but that had no effect. I ran a trend on the DC Bus Voltage. It hovers around 700 VDC before I execute the MSO, but does spike to 850 VDC, which trips the alarm. My input voltage is 490 VAC right now, so maybe I need to follow the book on this one and install a shunt resistor. Either way, the homing switch doesn't seem to be my current issue, so I shouldn't drag this thread out any more. If I get past the overvoltage problem and the limit switch comes up, I'll repost here. Otherwise, it's time or a new thread.

Thanks for the attentive help.

I have now swapped motors, swapped drives, uninstalled and upgraded RSLogix5000 to 20.04, and upgraded the Kinetix 350's firmware to 1.58. A shunt resistor solved the F35 DC Bus Overvoltage alarm, but I believe that the motor was bad. I can power up the servo motor with a MSO instruction, but If I try a MAH instruction, I still get an error 84 for the drive digital not being assigned. If I try a MAJ instruction, the shaft doesn't move, but I get an F54 alarm on the drive saying I have a following error. I can disable the brake and turn the shaft by hand, and I can track the position in the tags for the axis. I'm not sure what the next step is.

Have you checked the U-V-W motor wires to the drive?
I've made ever a fault on this by thinking this is only important for turning direction of the motor, and this will be solved during the polarity test...

So recheck this, and follow the manual, or you will have all kind of strange alarms like I had...

I retraced my steps, and I think a lot of this has to do with having a wrong motor / drive selection. Trying to use what we had on hand, the motor is a TL-series motor, which is spec'ed out for the 120-240VAC drives, not the 480V 2097-V34 I'm using. I want to stick with the drive so that I don't have to add a dropdown transformer, too, so I'm looking at replacing it with a MPL-series motor. When I added that as the motor for the axis, the hook-up tests all of a sudden became available, which weren't there when I had the TPL selected. When I'm able to get a new motor installed, I'll see if that doesn't solve all of my current problems.

Forgive me for the wild goose chase. Hopefully this is the end of this thread.

Thanks for the help. Best regards.