You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 8th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Jasondelane
United States

Migrating from 1336 to Powerflex 700 on PLC5 system

I've got a machine in my mill running on PLC5 with 7 different 1336F drives over Controlnet. I've been tasked with migrating these to Powerflex 700 or 750 drives, but I'm having issues getting proper communication between the program and the drive.

We've done some experimenting and can get communication over RSNetworx with the Powerflex 700 and a Controlnet addapter and can issue manual run, stop, reverse and speed commands from Drive Explorer. However, when we try to operate the Powerflex in place of the 1336, it seems like the program is inhibiting any operation.

My question: Do I have to make wholesale changes to the ladder logic in my program to issue the same commands and speed reference to a Powerflex 700 and a 1336F? My googlefu has led me to believe that there may be a difference.

Last edited by Jasondelane; December 8th, 2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Donnchadh
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

Hi

I have never done what you are trying to do with control net but I actually had to change out the same model of drive but on Rio in a mill. There were a nice few changes as the mapping was totally different and did require a fair bit if code. Now none of it was very hard after I got one to work but with plc 5 there is no real nice way only to copy the copy the code and change address, or use a jsr to a routine or indirect addressing

Donnchadh
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Jasondelane
United States

We have a couple of Powerflex 700 already in the same program running on RIO. It looks like the output words are exactly the same. I've also read through the 20 COMM C manual today and saw a few settings I didn't check last time I was working on this. It honestly looks like nothing needs to change in the logic, as the input/output words are both 16 bit just like the 1336F. I think I just need to power up the drive and go through the parameters one by one to make sure they're compatible with the command and speed references we're sending.

I'll have a chance Saturday to start from scratch and I'll write down everything I do.

I was hoping I could find a written migration guide since Allen Bradley does those sometimes, but I'm coming up empty
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum