16#0204 error

@Ketulp: Show us what you have done, the way you request help is not the best one.
Have you check what error 16#0204 is ??
What kind of device dx2048 is , and so on....

As you have found, that code indicates a timeout error during the intial EtherNet/IP protocol connection.

So either the one of the devices isn't at the IP address you expect it, or the network between the devices is disconnected, or the EtherNet/IP driver is not running on the Yokogawa device.

I like to use the TCPING utility to figure out at a low level if a third-party device is connected and running EtherNet/IP. Use TCPING to test if a computer on the same physical switch as the PLC can connect to the target using TCP Port 44818.

The more information you can provide, the better the advice you can get from this forum will be.

Use TCPING to test if a computer on the same physical switch as the PLC can connect to the target using TCP Port 44818.

The more information you can provide, the better the advice you can get from this forum will be.

There is also traceroute (sometimes tracert) and telnet (e.g

Code:
telnet plc.ip.address 44818
), because not all devices have the ping service/server.

Great points about telnet and tracert.

Virtually all devices support the classic Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) PING command, but I'll allow that some devices do disable it, and some operating systems even omit it from their command line tools (Windows 7 Embedded comes to mind).

PING really just tells you that a device is online with the network and is running a TCP/IP stack. It tells you very little about what the device is doing.

TCPING is not an operating-system level feature; the most popular and stable version is a utility program written by a guy named Eli Fulkerson.

TCPING attempts to create a TCP connection on the specified TCP Port number using the SYN -> SYN/ACK -> ACK "three way handshake" that every TCP connection starts with. It doesn't try anything else.

It is useful in industrial automation for inferring a device's identity and functionality if other tools are not available.

For example, using TCPING on Port 502 gives you a good idea if the device is running Modbus/TCP.

TCPING on Port 44818 tells you if the device is running EtherNet/IP.

I often recommend TCPING in instance like this one where a device is thought to be on the network at the correct address, and the user often says "I can PING the device, but I cannot browse/go online/make an IO connection".

Using TCPING to check to see if Port 44818 is open helps narrow down whether the device at that address is what the person thinks it is, and whether it's configured for the correct protocol.

The PLC network interface user manual for that Yokogawa device shows that there is a menu onboard that allows the user to enable various network features. It lists "FTP", "Web", "SNTP", "Modbus" and "PLC Comm".

That menu, in conjunction with TCPING, can help determine if the desired automation-level protocols are running.