1734 IE8C 8 channel analog input: source or sink?

patjdixon

We have a Rockwell 1734 IE8C 8 channel analog input card, but we don't know if this is sourcing or sinking. The user manual doesn't seem to have information on this. Anyone know?

It's an analog current input module. I don't think I've ever heard the sourcing/sinking terminology applied to analog modules before. Based on the most standard definition/use of the terms, I would say that an analog input module would sink current.

The idea of using the terms sourcing and sinking in relation to an analog input module is problematic.

The power source for the 4-20 loop might be located at the field device or at the analog input module.

Regardless of where the power source is, the current leaves the power source, and then enters either the controlling device followed by the precision resistor, or, the precision resistor followed by the controlling device. In either case, the current then returns to the power source.

The power source is "the source" and "the sink"... it's a loop.

From the excellent post on the subject by Terry Woods in this thread.

Yes the proper term for analogues is 2 wire or 3/4 wire or active or passive.
2 wire sensors rely on the destination analogue to supply the power source, the 3/4 wire get their power from another source. sometimes even a 3 wire sensor is fed off the same 24v supply that is common to the analogue card.

We have a Rockwell 1734 IE8C 8 channel analog input card, but we don't know if this is sourcing or sinking. The user manual doesn't seem to have information on this. Anyone know?

Sinking and sourcing likely isn't even applicable to your problem. What are you having issues with or trying to solve?