1756-EN2TP and 1783-ETAP1F or 2F questions

thingstodo

Hi All,

I’ve gone through the rather simplistic examples that Rockwell has for PRP and cannot answer the question below. ETAPS are listed as supporting DLR only … but if I am using them as protocol converters from copper to fiber … and there is only 1 of the 2 DLR ports used .. I think that it maybe does not make a difference? UNLESS there is something goofy about PRP that uses larger IP frames than the ETAP can deal with .. or something else that I have not even thought of.

Given that introduction .. I have ETAP and PRP questions. Our local Rockwell network people are apparently very busy and are not getting back to me in a reasonable time.

SOOOOOO … I’m asking here!

I am looking for ‘NO, it won’t work because …’ or maybe I’m looking for no one to tell me it won’t work. It would be awesome if someone posts ‘YES, this works’ ..

The attached sketch is out of date (IP addresses will not be routable, Uplink interfaces look a bit different), but it shows the general idea. We have a PLC with 3 local racks (inside an MCC room) and a remote rack (in another building). The local racks are on PRP to redundant Stratix switches. Each stratix then communications to multiple redboxes and then on to the cisco switch stacks that the IT guys deal with.

The ETAPS on each Stratix to the EN2TP in the DOZER are where my question is. Can I use the ETAP1F or ETAP2F as a media converter only, and have that take my PRP off cat5 to multi-mode fiber and back to cat5 so that it can connect to each of the Stratix switches? I’d prefer to stay with all rockwell branded stuff so that we don’t have rockwell tech support pointing to equipment from another vendor (blackbox, etc) as the source of a problem when we are troubleshooting.

Is anyone successfully using another brand of media converter instead of an ETAP on a PRP network?

If this is not a valid configuration, we can make things more complicated and use the ETAPS in a DLR that only goes between the processor rack and the Dozer shack. But I think it is easier to explain what is happening with everything on PRP.

LC9 Block diagram V2b.jpg

Disclaimer - I am not a PRP expert, all below is just my personal opinion. You still need to get this validated by your local Rockwell people.

I am not concerned about ETAPs use as media converters, all look correct to me. People do it all the time. Just make sure DLR supervisor feature is disabled on these.
What I think is wrong, is connecting LAN and LAN B switches to the same CISCO stack. This will create a loop between LANs and is illegal.
To connect to a stack, you should use a pair (or at least one) of Stratix 5400 switches configured as REDBOX.
You can see the example in the manual page 15
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/at/enet-at006_-en-p.pdf

In my comment, I missed your statement
..Each stratix then communications to multiple redboxes and then on to the cisco switch stacks that the IT guys deal with..
This is inline with my comment above, must use REDBOX switches.

Rockwell Tech support reply

Of course, after I post here I actually get a response from Rockwell. Here is a snippet:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From our kb, ID QA44666

1783-ETAP 2 port embedded devices do not support jumbo frames.
Therefore an ETAP cannot be used in Parallel Redundancy Protocol applications, as PRP uses jumbo frames.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It goes on to mention that there is a solution for single mode fiber (no part number or I would have shared) (we only have multi-mode available) and mention that the ETAPs that are available now will not be sold past 2024. A new version of the ETAP will be available that allows for SFPs to be installed, so one part number will allow for 3 port copper, 2 copper one fiber, 1 copper and 2 fiber or all 3 fiber. Additionally SFPs can be single mode or multimode.

No word on whether it will support Cisco's new Bi-directional single mode fiber SFP that allows you to use one single fiber instead of a pair of single mode fibers. Our IT guys really like these.

If they have a recommendation for use now with multi-mode and PRP, or if I get a part number for the mentioned single mode media converter that works with PRP, I'll post when I get info.

@Contr_conn Thanks for reviewing my (admittedly bad) sketch

@L33ER The 1756-EN2TPs were ordered early this year. Around 12 month delivery when ordered. Delivery has slid since then, not sure what the latest delivery date is.

This design is a retrofit of an existing Controlnet network. It's a 3 year project and this is year 1 (engineering and long lead orders). Year 2's projected parts that we knew for sure - EN2TP, Stratix switches - were ordered. We are trying to work out solutions for the exceptions now so that the extra hardware can be ordered ASAP.

I expect that the hardware will be set up in a lab, operations tested, and cisco/rockwell intrusion detection tools set up to verify everything works before it is installed and commissioned.

Another unofficial media converter

Another email from tech support:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/us/Catalog/Product/6GK60010AC010EA0

Looking at the product configuration there are a few singlemode options available. We have never specified these for locations with multimode as we use etaps for that.
The E in the part number is for the conversion type. See attached file

Other conversion options are available but have not been tested. Good information if you are up for some testing before implementation

siemens.png