1769-L18ER wont communication Nanotec drive

CantonPLCguy

I am having an issue with my 1769_L18ER running Studio 5000 v32.11 not communicating with a Nanotec C5-e-1-11 controller via ethernet IP for a stepper drive I am specifically looking at the control word 6041h on the drive. I have the latest firmware and eds file uploaded from the manufacturer. In my project tree in Studio 5000 it is showing up as running with no issues and communicating, but it is not giving me the inputs I need from the drive. I looked in RSLinx and it seems only half driver our packets we are sending our getting through. We have used these controllers in the past but, not at the current firmware revision, and we are using same routine we have in the past.

Any suggestions what to try or could it be a faulty drive that does not communicate properly? (my guess issues with current firmware) I have attached a couple screenshots of what we I am seeing. I am still awaiting word back from nanotec if its anything on their end(or my end), but my guess they will claim its a Rockwell issue.

RSLINX_Driver_Diag.PNG Capture.PNG PlugNDrive_Object Dictionary.PNG Stepper_Inputs to PLC2.PNG comms good.PNG

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The phrase that jumps out at me in your post is:

I looked in RSLinx and it seems only half driver our packets we are sending our getting through.

That's accompanied by the RSLinx Driver Diag.jpg screenshot that shows some commands canceled, and timed out, and some communication errors. That's between RSLinx and the controller, but it can be instructive about the overall quality of the Ethernet network conditions, especially if you reset those counters and see them incrementing. I don't think that the "Commands Canceled" and "Commands Timed Out" values are meaningful because you have not-present-on-the-network devices with red X's in your Ethernet Devices driver. The failure of RSWho to browse those devices (because they legitimately aren't on the network) causes the COmmands Canceled and Commands Timed out counters to increment normally.

One way to narrow that down would be to use an EtherNet/IP Devices driver, or an Ethernet Devices driver with only the CompactLogix CPU itself in the Station List.

The lack of an error message and the presence of "Running" status for the stepper drive object in the I/O tree suggests that it's configured correctly and that I/O packets are being exchanged between the stepper and the controller. It's an L18ER, and only has 3 devices in the I/O tree so it's under the limit (8 with that CPU, I think).

To determine if the I/O connection is breaking and re-making, I would add some logic to use a GSV to examine the Module Status object, and/or look at the embedded webpage for the I/O connections to show the connection uptime and any statistics about missed packets or communication errors on the CPU port.

>my guess they will claim its a Rockwell issue.

Quick, name a famous problem that was solved by finger-pointing. :)

Any chance you've got a managed switch that can give you mirrored data from those devices so you can prove what's being exchanged at the on-the-wire level ?

Last edited:
Hey,
I’m working on a Nanotec application and am getting the same results as you. Seems like none of the example code works. If I switch from common I/o to PDI i can actually get the stepper to move. Curious what the end result was for you. I have reached out to support but have received no contact back. Phone or email

Thanks in advance.