3 way selector switch in factory talk studio and studio 5000

Stewart1

Hello, I’m still a beginner at plc programming. I am trying to use a 3 position selector switch in factory talk studio to simulate a Reset, manual and auto function using three graphics. I know I can animate it using to different selector switches but I just wanted to use one. Also, in need of assistance with the studio 5000 programming. Thank you.

I've had a look at this, and thinking I could do it with a multistate indicator, but the image files don't seem to want to display properly.

Three separate "Images" with visibility animation seems to work OK, have a look at (import it) this graphic display I just put together.

ThreePosSwitch

We've done similar animations. Like daba posted, this uses separate images for each state of the switch using visiblity animation based on switch state logic in the PLC.

The pushbuttons for activating the states are using interlocked pushbuttons but this doesn't allow for a momentary action for the "reset" state.
I'll assume you're wanting to simulate a spring-return RESET and hold-position AUTO and MANUAL.

I don't have the logic handy at the moment but the switch positions are all visibility-animated off of one tag in the PLC. The state tag is incremented through the states with either a sequencer timer or pushbutton value inputs from the interlocked button objects. See the top of the attached pic.

Typically, we use three or four separate PB objects as shown in the bottom of the pic for equipment HOA-RESET control.

Clipboard02.jpg

Hello, I’m still a beginner at plc programming. I am trying to use a 3 position selector switch in factory talk studio to simulate a Reset, manual and auto function using three graphics. I know I can animate it using to different selector switches but I just wanted to use one. Also, in need of assistance with the studio 5000 programming. Thank you.

You will have to use the Rotate animation on a switch to be able to use just one. Setup the animation to read a tag and set tag to 0, 45, 90 according to mode selected. Below is a link to a similar thread.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=99362

I would look into using a multistate button on the HMI side of things then establish the right connection to each state. I would not use animations personally as I find them to be distracting to certain operators. I would also recommend if you are starting out in HMI design, to check out "The High Performance HMI Handbook". It gives a very good foundation to build off of. I would also look into PlantPAX add on instructions and faceplates as they significantly decrease the "building" time of your program and HMI application. You can google "PlantPAX Faceplate Library" or if you are feeling lucky, try searching PCDC (the download search) on Rockwell's site.

Latching and/or interlocked push buttons will be the bane of your existence.

Using them limits your application/process scalability, troubleshooting visibility, and will drive you to servicing your failed liver due to exposure to frequent binge drinking.

I maintain the position that Rockwell “maintains” that buggy trash to introduce deliberate hurdles for end-users attempting to migrate to superior and cheaper HMI products when their integrator decided to cut corners in development and overlap a state machine into HMI logic.

The real solution? Use three momentary push buttons to latch/unlatch a finite set of states in PLC logic (there’s only three in your case!) upon respective button press.

Depending on the active state, hide or show an image object or, my preference, select among possible states of a multistate indicator.

Further tips:
- every momentary push button can read an indicator value to display whether the action/state it tends is active. this can majorly reduce on-screen clutter so you can avoid UI hell by have separate action/indicators which reduce your usable space by up to 50%
- pretend ftview will hopefully vanish and program with the expectation that any HMI can interact with your controller. they all have momentary push buttons, do they all implement buggy interlocked buttons?