3PH Machine Power Consumption Logging using AB PLC

GTUnit

Hello
We have a 3 phase machine where we need to log the power use during every run of a process.
Each run can last anywhere from 30min to 5 hours.
Machine can consume 0-20A at 400VAC 3PH 50Hz

We would like to save each runs log as an individual CSV file which can be downloaded over the Ethernet network.

The machine consists of:
Allen Bradley 1769-L30ER PLC
Beijer IX T12B HMI Panel
EW@on 4005CD VPN Router

All on Ethernet.

I need some help/advice in figuring out the best way to log 3 phase power consumption for every run of a process.
Need to log Volts, Amps, KVA, Whrs, time stamp.

What Power Meter should I buy? :confused:
Allen Bradley Powermonitor 1000
Allen Bradley Powermonitor 5000

Any other good options?
We need something that will start and stop logging from a PLC trigger. Network or dry contact trigger ok.

Should I log to PLC SD card or to Beijer panel.. which has USB and SD storage as well as a SQL server option (no experience with this)

What is the best way to log this data?

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone with experience could offer. Thank You.

I know the powermonitor 1000 can communicate via MSG instructions from pretty much any ethernet enabled AB plc. Once you get the data into a PLC, you should be able to do anything you need logic, display, or logging wise.

I have no experience with the Powermonitor 5000 but it has much more capabilities than the 1000. It all depends on what your requirements are, what your future plans are, and how much you are willing to spend.

A power monitor 1000 will be enough for your purpose. Fire a MSG every time (in our case 5 mins)to move data from PM to PLC, then use your mechanism to move data from plc into excel (in our case we use XLreporter). We have 62 power monitor 1000.

Does anyone have some sample programs utilizing Powermonitor 1000 ?
I would like some help with preconfigured messages and tags.
Im using a Compactlogix.

Last edited: