AB Math instruction SQR

Tom,

Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand what you are saying.

Peter is great at this stuff but sometimes forgets that most people have a hard time following all of his math equations. Of course I am speaking of mear mortals such as myself.

Since nothing in our process uses these types of instructions, I figured it would be a good idea to start learning them.

The learning curve on this is steep for me because I am horrible in math, which is a bad thing when it comes to plc's.

Thanks for everyone's help, when I get time tonight I will attempt to post another example to see if I truly understand what you all are talking about.

?????

Peter please explain
if I know the velocity needs to be 10 inches per second and the distance along the x axis is 4 and the distance along the y axis is 3 then I calculate the real distance traveled 5 = sqrt(3*3+4*4). I then Velocity X = 10 * 4 /sqrt(3*3+4*4) and Velocity y = 10 * 3/sqrt(3*3+4*4).
X = 8 Y = 6 I`m not sure the value for X & Y are correct, but
if they are what do they mean? If the velocity is 10 inches
per sec where do they fit in? Mixed Up!

Thanks banghead

They mean that the motor which can only move the end object in the X direction must move it at 8 inches per second and the motor which can only move the end object in the Y direction must move it at 6 inches per second to get the end object to travel along its diagonal path at 10 inches per second.

answer

Thanks Bernie NOW I understand. You read and try to
study this stuff, but like jNelson said if you have`t
used it it`s hard to understand. Some on this forum
are very gifted in Math, which is what it all boils
down to.
Thanks

My 2 cents on using a plc to control a hydraulic proportional valve.

This works fine for open loop control. If all you want to do is send a cylinder out at a roughly controlled speed (say 10V for fast and 5V for slow) this works fine (note that fast and slow will vary as conditions change).

You can hook a feedback device into your PLC (say an analog in) and try to do motion control using a PID. This can be an excercise in frustration and you will find yourself swearing a lot.

You could also by a Rexroth controler. From my experience this will just leave you swearing a lot in German.

Or you can by one of Peter's systems. I haven't seen him try and advertise in any of his posts but the products he designed are found at Delta Computer Systems. I have personally used the RMC 100 in 2 applications now and am considering it for several more. What Peter has developed is an extremly powerful motion controller that can compete with anything from Rexroth/Bosch/parker/etc.... The difference is that Peter's controller is wonderfully simple to setup and tune. Simple enough that a spark chaser such as myself can set one up with absolutely no problem (and I'm not that smart). I highly recommend anyone with a hydraulic motion/force/velocity control application consider a system from Delta.

DISCLAIMER: This system is simple yes however, hydraulics are powerful and can wreck things and hurt people if you are not careful. If you don't know what you are doing, find someone that does.

p.s I enjoyed the course in Calgary, I learned more about PID etc, than I have learned at anytime in my career.