AB Micro800 VS Phoenix Contact AXC-F-2152

Hi all,

Historically i have used AB compactlogix exclusively working within the Logix/Studio5000 environment. I have decided to step out of my comfort zone and am exploring the use of other controllers. Lower spec controllers, (so my exploratory mission does not cost me so much).

Currently i am experimenting with the Phoenix Contact AXC-F-2152. After which i plan to experiment with AB Micro800 range of controller.

Has anyone here had experience with both and can you please provide a pros and cons on each?

Thank you.

I have little experience on either of those but plenty on many other platforms.
From what I see on here the micro 800 is a terrible platform.
I suppose it will depend on your customers, are they going to stick with RW/AB or do you have a more flexible base of customers etc. there are many other good platforms out there & it is definitely worth getting exerience on them but try to stick with what your customers normally use.
Being in OZ probably means other platforms are more prevelant not like the US where AB dominate.

definitely worth getting exerience on them but try to stick with what your customers normally use.
Being in OZ probably means other platforms are more prevelant not like the US where AB dominate.

I do not work for a company. I have been working in networking for a few years now and after messing around with automation for the past few years, i have decided to try and offer my services in this field. I figure the big players like rio tinto, CSL, or any large operation who have critical production lines would not be looking for a small operator such as myself. So i figure i will offer my services to smaller operations who are looking for a cheap and chearful solutions to small applications. Which is why i am experimenting with these cheaper options. I am trying to understand how effective and reliable they are.

The AB and siemens dominate the large manufacturing operations in OZ also.

In my experience, if you know Logix/Studio, Step 7/TIA and something like CoDeSys then you are likely able to tackle a great many projects. To be honest it's more about knowing the nuances around various proprietaries more than the ability to code itself. That's not to say that everyone doesn't have a favourite.

As an aside - Every post I've read with mention of a Micro800 has said they are terrible. I've done a reasonable amount with Micro800's and like everything it's about appropriateness. The Micro800 is basic. Connected Components Workbench is basic. If you are looking for a cheap CompactLogix then a Micro800 is not that. If you are looking for something cheap and powerful then an S7-1200 or something CoDeSys based is probably what you are after.

If you are looking for something cheap and powerful then an S7-1200 or something CoDeSys based is probably what you are after.

I will look into the S7-1200, ideally compact version.

I have defined what i am looking for to deliver on basic applications. These requirements are based on speaking with professionals from different industries.

1. Cost effective
2. Able to communicate and control HMI remotely, (eg. VNC). Many applications only require the monitoring of process conditions with no control. (eg. Micro800, Phoenix Contact AXC-F-2152)
3. Compact, to fit inside a relatively small enclosure.
4. Reliable
5. Only required to monitor or offer minimal control, (digital inputs, analog inputs, minimal output).
6. Does not require complex functions like PID or high speed counters.

There are a number of "BRICK" type PLC's out there like Mitsubishi, OMRON Click who's prices for both the PLC hardware & software are far cheaper than those of AB/Siemens they also have powerful processors if required, it is certainly worth getting to know them as it gives you a wider customer base.
Yes, there can be a steep learning curve & no hardware is cheap for a little guy but many now have simulators built in to the IDE so appart from specialty cards like analogs & motion you can learn a lot just using the simulators that come built in.

Yes, there can be a steep learning curve & no hardware is cheap for a little guy but many now have simulators built in to the IDE so appart from specialty cards like analogs & motion you can learn a lot just using the simulators that come built in.

I have looked at mitsubishi and omron. They are definitely systems that i will be learning in the future as i know many small companies prefer one of these two PLCs specifically.

Regarding simulators, I have learnt from dealing with AB that half the challenge is learning how to configure my software and PC to establish communication with the hardware. I would consider it critical to learn on actual hardware as opposed to simulators.

This said, suppliers have been happy to loan me out hardware for training purposes. This is very fortunate.

I currently have a micro820 and a Phoenix contact on loan at the moment, hence the title of this query.

Certainly, Mitsubishi is easy especially the bricks, most now have USB if they are 422 then make sure you get a usb/232 converter that will work on Win11 there are many out there without the latest chips that have never updated the driver, I cannot remember which ones do not work but it is either FDTI or Prolific so you need to be careful. For Mitsubishi there is also a 232/422 lead called SC09 you will need but there are USB to 422 version, again I do not know which ones will work on Win10/11. I carry a Mitsi Enet card, I just add this as a temp measure on the older FX range, not used Omron for a few years now but again always was easy to connect.

I have used the Micro800 platform many times. As far as reliability they perform very well. I have one application that I'm using 6 High Speed Counters, 3 Axis Motion Out for Stepper control, 3 Analog In and 3 Analog Out, Ethernet & ASCII communication along with multiple digital I/O and have no hardware issues.

As far as the programming software: in a word it is "frustrating" I think RW/AB is trying to make it "similar" to RS5000, but it will never make it. About 2 years ago we were using version 12, when I upgraded the controllers to V12, in the above mentioned application, analog variables stopped responding and started to change on their own not in program control. I contacted RW about it and they said just change the variable names and that should fix it. I downgraded the controller to V11 and have not had any issues.

We are now using V21 of the software and most of our controllers still have V11 firmware and we are having no issues. I still don't like programming in this software, and the document generator is seriously lacking.

I have used the Micro800 platform many times. As far as reliability they perform very well.
We are now using V21 of the software and most of our controllers still have V11 firmware and we are having no issues. I still don't like programming in this software, and the document generator is seriously lacking.

Thank you for the insight Rock.

Certainly, Mitsubishi is easy especially the bricks, most now have USB if they are 422 then make sure you get a usb/232 converter that will work on Win11 ....

Thank you again parky. I am a Win7 holdout. I usually run a 32bit OS also, so my system is usually compatible. I will take note of the cables models that i will need and make sure i am equipped with them when i begin learning the Mitsubishi and Omron.