Ab question again

PERSPOLIS

HI EVERYONE
I have a machine slc 5/05 connected to panelview plus 1000 . I use rslinx and ethernet to go on line which I have some problem with ethernet which I will discuss it in details later but for now can I use RS232 port to go on line or has to be ethernet.
Thanks

Yes you can go online with your SLC 5/05 controller using RS-232 serial port but first you have to configure the driver on your RSlinx. The driver is RS-232 DF1 Devices fill up some parameters and select auto-configure and you’re done.

Ab_eth-1 problem

HI EVERYONE
As I mentioned before we have a machine with AB plc SLC 5/05. I used to go line using RSLINX and ethernet driver without any problem.Last week I noticed that RS WHO indicating that unrecognized device with question mark with red cross.I have re_installed rslinx and still the same and no luck at all.
The laptop is about 10 years old having winxp home edition, I am totally surprized that what has gone wrong that laptop does not communicate with processor.
I appreciate for any suggestion and advice. Thanks a lot guys.:confused:o_O

The laptop is about 10 years old having winxp home edition, I am totally surprized that what has gone wrong

Let's troubleshoot this with an open mind, allowing the possibility that the laptop's Ethernet port may be damaged or degraded after ten years of industrial use.

Does the laptop communicate with anything else successfully ?

Can you contact the SLC-5/05 controller using PING [controller IP address] from a command prompt ?

Can you contact the SLC-5/05 controller using HTTP://[controller IP address] in a Web browser ?

Hi Perspolis, Did you register the EDS file of the panelview. If you have an unrecognized in rslinx it doesn't mean that the device is not working but just not recognised. Try reregister the .EDS files or get an new one on the site of AB

Red X trumps Question Mark

A question mark icon without a red X can indicate that a device's EDS file is not registered.

A question mark icon with a red X indicates that RSLinx has never communicated with the device (since the driver was configured).

A device icon with a red X indicates that RSLinx has communicated with and identified the device at some time in the past, but cannot communicate with it now.

Thank you all for the replies and I did followings and worked fine as one of my co-worker suggested:
1- disable the network.
2- configured ethernet driver and running.
3- configured ethernet/ip driver and running.
4- plug the cable from plc to laptop.
5- enabled the network.
7- tcp/ip configured for plc ip address.
8- rs who and plc icon visible and went on line.

Just to make sure ,closed rslogix and rslinx , the laptop was shut down and unplug the network cable. Laptop was restarted rslinx opened and now plc icon avaiable in rs who and went on line again.