AB Series 9/440 - Yikes - Do you have

alive15

Hello, I have this old drive here series 9/440, part #8520-4S5A-BAT-EX4-Y-1-2-3-4-5.

I am trying to figure out what the above letters and #s represent, but having trouble finding a parts catalog. Does anyone have, or know what these characters represent? I would prefer to have the catalog, so I can see what other options I could use to replace with.

Or if anyone has the exact one on a shelf ready to sell, let me know. Thanks!

Yes, thanks for sharing, I did not have the version you sent me.

Does anyone have the parts catalog for the series 9/440? I could not find online either. This way, I can determine if another part may be a suitable replacement for the one I have.

At one point, our company did, but I do not have at this time. Do they allow you to copy and paste the information here to this thread? Or take a snap shot photo? I need this information to figure out if any other parts may work for my machine which is down.

alive15 said:
Hello, I have this old drive here series 9/440, part #8520-4S5A-BAT-EX4-Y-1-2-3-4-5.

I am trying to figure out what the above letters and #s represent, but having trouble finding a parts catalog. Does anyone have, or know what these characters represent? I would prefer to have the catalog, so I can see what other options I could use to replace with....

OK, let's do this!...

9/Series CNC Control Assmbly:

8520-4S5A-BAT-EX4-Y-1-2-3-4-5

8520 = 9/Series Lower Level Assembly Catalog Number

4S5A = 9/440 Four Axis 5Kw 8520-S5 Power Section with Processor/Motherboard 8520-4APA1/C

BAT = 9/440 Battery

EX4 = 9/440 Lathe/Mill Executive

Y = 9/440 256KB Memory

1-2-3-4 = Various Lathe/Mill Option Groups
-5 = Search Monitor Option Group

Good or what?

But really, I'm just good at reading, once I've "honed" in on the target information (sorry, couldn't help it)...

31816 - Decoding 9/Series system Catalog number
Access Level: TechConnect

See also these...

14253 - 9/SERIES Replaceables

22438 - Replacement parts for 9/Series processors

Regards,
George

Oh, jraef, you stole my rumbling thunder...

At one point, our company did, but I do not have at this time. Do they allow you to copy and paste the information here to this thread? Or take a snap shot photo? I need this information to figure out if any other parts may work for my machine which is down.

Have you tried your local AB distributor. They should be able to decode the part number and spec out a replacement drive.

alive15 said:

Please see your Private Message Inbox.

G.

@George Thanks man, that's a good chunk of information I was looking for, I appreciate you sending me this information. Also, I don't know why you quoted "honed" this time, ha ha ha, but I understand the meaning of this word. I'm sure you will explain to me. Also, please see your inbox in a few minutes.

@Robobob Good idea, I will check with them. I'm afraid they may not be able to help, this part has been obsolete since 2002, almost 2 decades ago.

alive15 said:
...I don't know why you quoted "honed" this time, ha ha ha, but I understand the meaning of this word. I'm sure you will explain to me...

CNC Honing / CNC Lathe/Mill? I thought that pun would be very obvious here, but that just goes to show you?

The 9/Series are typically used as the control system for such machines.

E384-motionmaster-cnc-router-allen-bradley-controller.jpg

See your Inbox soon!

G.

Oh hahaha, I get it now. Thanks for your explanation, as always.

Believe it or not, we actually have this controller on a grinder, not a lathe/honing machine. All these drives are doing are moving our grinding wheel and dresser wheel in, out, left, or right. I guess the lathe option was cheaper than the grinder option, and the OEM knew how to make it work on a grinder.

Yep, a Grinder would be another "such machine", as I was aluding to. Your Executive software is "EX4" which is usually for a 9/440 Lathe/Mill, but you are saying it was used on a Grinder. "GX4" would be the normal Executive software used for a 9/440 Grinder.

See Inbox now :site: