AB SLC 100 1745-LP101 manual

Dr_Bob

Looking for a troubleshooting manual for the above PLC controller. So far I have found this one which is of no help: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/1745-td215_-en-p.pdf

Looking for something that will tell me what the error code Im getting is all about. Also, something that describes the LED code light on the controller itself.

I know these are what is used for similar, but not something we have readily available:
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Allen-Bradley-Pocket-Programmer-1745-PT1-1745PT1-____C6/3948626

Thanks guys,

@Bernie - this one has a little more info than the one I had, thanks.

@Lancie1 - I would need the pocket programmer for those to be seen, correct? Or is there another way to connect and troubleshoot these?

@Lancie1 - I would need the pocket programmer for those to be seen, correct? Or is there another way to connect and troubleshoot these?
Yes, most probably.

There was another way once, using the SLC100 PC software, a PC Interface Converter, and an old DOS-based IBM-compatible PC computer. See page 2.12 of your new 1745-800 User Manual.

Dr Bob, a big question is why do you want to use this obsolete PLC? You could put it in storage for 20 years, then sell it as an antique or donate it to a museum. In the meantime, buy you a newer PLC, such as an Allen Bradley Mircologix 1000, or a Micro800, or a Automation Direct Click.

SLC100 PC Software Interface Converter.jpg

Last edited:
@Lancie - Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the foundry I work at, loves to buy really old stuff and then want to fix it as opposed to buying stuff that actually works and is relatively new. Aggravating but that is how they proceed.

@Mickey - Thanks for the info, I do use VB on some other stuff so we could go that route.

Thanks, guys.

Unfortunately, the foundry I work at, loves to buy really old stuff and then want to fix it as opposed to buying stuff that actually works and is relatively new.
Then they value your time at $0/hour. If you calculate the cost of putting together a package that will allow you to use the SLC100, and also consider that even if you get it working, it will be severely limited in the number and type of I/O, that you will NOT ever be able to have any analog Inputs or Outputs (very useful for measuring foundary temperatures and other variables), or communicate with other devices, then in the long run, it would be tremendously cheaper to buy a used PLC with free software that will connect to whatever computer you have on hand.

If it were me (and I have done this in similar situations), I would shop around and buy what I really needed to get the job done, then when it is working, submit the receipts for the cost of the new system. At that point, your company has the choice to pay you for the cost, or let you rip out a working system and recover your parts. That is one way you can work around corporate ignorance.

Once I worked at a company that had a bunch of old DOS-based computers (long after Windows was the standard). I asked for a new computer, and the owner told me he could not afford to upgrade. I went shopping, and ordered a new Dell system with all the software that I needed. It wasn't long before other employees were coming around wanting me to run spreadsheets and database programs that they could not do on their own computer. Then the owner's wife came by and told me to load an accounting program on my computer to run the company books "because my computer was the only one that would run the programs". I told her to hold on a minute, that since I paid for this computer, I thought that I ought to have a say in what software gets loaded on it, and in how it was used.

She could not believe that the company did not own it, until I showed her the receipts with my name on them. Then she went straight to her husband and told him a few things not repeatable here. The next day I had a check for the total cost, and a bunch of orders went out for new computers.

EDIT: This assumes that you know enough about PLCs to know what you need. If the SLC100 is being bought only as a training tool, then all bets are off. You would still be better off training on something slightly newer than 40 years old. It is easier to learn on a new PLC than it would be to learn on one as old as the SLC 100.

Last edited:
If I was well versed in ladder logic, I would have already proceeded with a newer PLC to replace this one. Unfortunately, we have 0 documentation on what the leads go to that populate the I/O ports of the controller. Someone about 15 years ago set it up and are no longer working here. We are attempting to get a wiring diagram as we speak, so hopefully I can convince them to go the "newer" route.

I agree it would be a pain to get it to function with old PC hardware/software, but just to remedy in the down time would be a good asset. I can make the PC side of things work, Im sure, its the PCL side that Im fairly new to.

Thanks again guys.

I have an old interface I made years ago with a BlackBox 800 Short-Haul modem. If you want the info on how to make an interface for this, please ask and I will take the time to figure out how to convert an ordinary RS232 to RS422 converter including the pinout. It might be a little hard to find the old 8-pin DIN connector you need.

Edit:
Read this whole thread for details and also to find the pinout info that is available in post #6:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=4455

PS. I think Mickey's link in the next post (#12) is the easiest way to go.

Last edited:
I have an old interface I made years ago with a BlackBox 800 Short-Haul modem. If you want the info on how to make an interface for this, please ask and I will take the time to figure out how to convert an ordinary RS232 to RS422 converter including the pinout. It might be a little hard to find an old DIN connector however.

Or buy a cable here and get a free video on how to use it, scroll down a little. 1784-PCC

http://www.ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

Last edited:
We are attempting to get a wiring diagram as we speak, so hopefully I can convince them to go the "newer" route.
That is the best path. A SLC 100 program cannot be so complicated that it can't be reproduced. Start with a description of the equipment (the job) and the wiring diagram. With that, there are 100's of programmers here who can recommend a newer PLC and write you a program.

We are going to be purchasing a newer PLC. Once the wiring diagram is here and the basic scope is found out, I will post back for input.

@jr - Thanks for the offer, I dont want to make you go through that trouble especially since we are going a newer route.

@mickey -Thanks for the link.