ABB AC500 and AB ControlLogix

Guitarzan

Hi everyone
I need to read/write data between an ABB AC500 and a ControlLogix via Ethernet
Any suggestions? Does the AC500 support EtherNet/IP?
I'm an ABB noob btw

Looks like AC500 doesn't support EtherNet/IP at first glance:
http://new.abb.com/plc/programmable-logic-controllers-plcs/ac500/communication-modules
http://www.vaeprosys.cz/dokumentace...ology-CPUs/AC500_Ethernet_Protocols_Ports.htm

Modbus TCP is supported and I can do that on the CLX side no problem, but I'd like something a bit more straight forward. Hoping to get some insight from someone familiar with the AC500

Thanks!

The Germans don't think too much of Ethernet/IP, so unless there is a clear commercial value to it you won't see it. ABB does not see a commercial value to it for the AC500. Modbus is the best option, but it is difficult to figure out in the AC500.

Hi

I have not used the abb with Ethernet butmi have used it with device net and it works very well.
I have used abb robots with control logic over Ethernet ip and it work no problems so to say abb don't use Ethernet at all is not really correct , then for me to say it works with a robot controller so it should work with a vsd is just as incorrect. I taught I saw a manual showingna ethernt card for the abb drive at one stage. May be worth contacting your local abb rep

Thanks
Donnchadh

It would be an ACS500 if it was a drive.
The link I sent was for an Ethernet module for the AC500 PLC. It has a reference in it to Ethernet IP.....but it might not be AB Ethernet IP.

Might be able to talk Modbus TCP with gateway.

Thanks so much for the help
From you guys, looking over the website, and support from the ABB forums, it appears the AC500 does not support EtherNet/IP

I'll have to stick with Modbus TCP

Also NetNathan, yes that PDF just shows the ins and outs of configuring Ethernet in an AC500, but thanks for looking :)

Cheers!