Adding AB Power Monitor 5000 to Controllogix device tree

gary.schear

I am trying to add three AB 1426-M6E Power Monitor 5000s to the Device Tree of my Control logix application.

Processor is L62 v. 20.12
Logix5000 version is 20.01
First Power monitor is 1426-M6E v. 3.28
Second and Third are 1426-M6E v. 4.10

I appear to have proper EDS and AOP as was able to add them but they are generating a (Code 16#0203) Connection Timed out error.

I did successfull add two 1408 Power Monitor 1000s

Am greatful for any tips.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Did you change the IP addressing mode to Static, cycle power, and access the Web browser interface to verify that they're at the correct IP address ?

Connection Timed Out really does mean... that the controller can't connect to them over the network. Usually that means they aren't physically connected, or the IP address is not what the controller expects.

I installed a PowerMonitor 5000 a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't use the AOP because I was using a ControlLogix Redundancy (19.52) system. Ended up just sending MSG instructions to read the VIF Assembly (Class 4, Instance 844, Attribute 3, 56 REAL elements) for my simple voltage and current monitoring needs.

Ken,

Thank you for your prompt response. Connectivitiy is good. Can ping and RSLinx can see the monitors.

I believe I just figured it out. When looking at the versions of everything I noticed the Processor is an L62. I have an L73 available and just added one of the 5000s with no problem.

Sometimes it helps just writing down the problem and the specifications of the equipment and then reading it...5 or 10 times!

Thank you, this helps having people to bounce things off of.

Interesting... I would not have expected the processor type to matter, with the same major revision of firmware and the same version of RSLogix 5000. I am also surprised at the symptom of a failure to connect, rather than some kind of object or identity incompatibility.

One thing I'll interject is that RSLogix 5000 version 20 had some minor-revision incompatibilities because of the "resiliency release" with signed firmware. If you run RSLogix 5000 v20.04, you can upload, download, and edit any v20.x firmware controller.

If you're using the PowerMonitor on a system that needs to run the 1756-L62, my recommendation would be to delete it from the I/O tree, export the project as a *.L5K text file, re-open that file to create a new project, and insert the PowerMonitor 5000 as a fresh instance in the I/O tree.

In my recent system, I replaced the Input and Output assembly connection with a repeated MSG to read the Identity Object, so I knew the device was online, then sent MSG instructions to grab the actual monitoring data I needed.