Adding Contrologix I/O to a running processor

bigbuckaroo

In the Contrologix User manual in chapter 8 it says versions 15 and forward have the ability to add I/O online without having to stop the processor. Great! That is what I would like to do but I can't find a list of steps to take to accomplish that. Can someone provide the proper procedure to add I/O this way? Do you add it into the configuration tree first then add the module to the slot? Any advice appereciated or even link to the procedure would be awesome. Thanks.

I know I added a PF drive on ControlNet in ver. 17 on a running system. It uses the unscheduled bandwidth of CN. It was always understood that during a downtime, we would schedule it properly. I think you can also add 1756 I/O.

According to the manual you can add the 1756 I/O online. I want to add 2 modules to the local chassis. I am just looking for the proper procedure to do it so without causing a fault and shutting down the process as this processor controls a nice section of our factory and finding time to do it via offline and download is not going to be easy.

I know with the PowerFlexes, I had just one chance to do it right. I mean in setting up the datalinks etc. If I did it wrong, it wouldn't work and I'd have to start over, sometimes by going into program mode. It's always a crapshoot between trying to keep production running and making system mods.

Tech Note 52256 (contract required) answers the basic question regarding the ability to add IO while in the run mode with the equally basic answer of YES without a procedure of how

Here's the info - specifically for adding I/O to the local chassis, but applies equally well for a remote chassis. The only fly in the ointment is if the remote chassis is on ControlNet (which is a scheduled network), it won't work until scheduled, but the I/O can be added as an un-scheduled connection - (regarded as a temporary solution).

Firstly (but not necessary to be first), understand that ControlLogix (1756) is just a collection of modules that share a communication "bus" (the backplane), and was designed to allow modules to be plugged in and out with the power ON. (Technical term is RIUP - Removal and Insertion Under Power). You can plug in your new modules without disruption to the running system, and you can plug them in any time you like, whether the I/O configuration exists or not.

Second, (but could be first), understand that in order to get I/O modules "working" within a processor's project, they have to be added to the I/O configuration tree. This can be done on-line, while the processor is running - for all revisions of firmware. You will get a warning saying that adding modules online can cause disruption to the I/O while connection to the new module is established, in truth I would not worry about this unless you have some super-critical or super-fast I/O (eg. motion control modules, or modules triggering an Event Task).

When you have correctly done both of the above, in either order, you will have working I/O.

Neither plugging modules in or adding them to the I/O tree while online will fault the processor. If the I/O tree does not match the physical I/O, you will get the I/O light flashing on the front of the processor.

You can start with Page 142 (PDF 144) of the ControlLogix System User Manual available here;

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um001_-en-p.pdf

As well as Daba's advice, I normally Inhibit the Module when I insert it into the I/O Tree. Then Enable it after I have inserted the Module into the Chassis. The 1756 I/O supports RIUP, but don't dither when you are inserting or removing a Module. You want to insert them with a positive clunk, and remove them fairly quickly.

Stu....

Back in first post I mentioned chapter 8 of this manual. I think we are referencing the same thing and I have gone throught it. Thanks for the help