Advice on CLX Revision Upgrade

kekrahulik

I have an AB CLX 1756-L61 processor that is running on version 17. I now need to install a 1756-IB16IF (High speed input) card that requires version 18 as a minimum.

I've read enough threads with issues from version upgrades to make me discount the thought of "it's just that easy".

The system isn't overly large: 20 I/O cards, 9 PF70 Drives, and a Sercos card with three servos.

Looking for opinions/advice - Do I migrate to version 20 or am I safer to go to version 18 or 19?

Personally, I would go to the v20. Version 20 also uses motion so if you upgrade to any motion projects you will need v20 anyways. It really is that easy. My suggestion though is to uninstall v17, then install v20. Don't just try to install v20 over top of v17. Make sure you save your projects though as they will be deleted (if you save them in the RS5000 temp folder)

No matter what version you upgrade the cpu to, you will also have to flash the sercos module to match.

I would go only as high as 19. We have recently updated some thirty L61s/62s/63s from 16 to 19 with absolutely no issues; just make sure the speciality modules (such as the SERCOS) and the PFs comms modules are being also updated to the highest firmware level supported by the controller's new one.
Since Rev.20 is the highest ever revision applicable to the L6x class I believe there are some issues with "pushing" existing L6xs to the maximum firmware level; users experienced lower performance with L6x CPUs updated from 16, 17, 18 to 20; in some cases, the upgrade was returned to 19 and in others the L6xs were replaced with the newer generation L7xs.

Personally, I would go to the sprint v20. Version 20 also uses motion so if you upgrade to any motion projects you will need v20 anyways. It really is that easy. My suggestion though is to uninstall v17, then install v20. Don't just try to install v20 over top of v17. Make sure you save your projects though as they will be deleted (if you save them in the RS5000 temp folder)

I don't understand your reasoning here. I have v13-v20 of Logix on my laptop with no issues. Having multiple versions has no discernible performance effect and offers the convenience of being able to open projects no matter what version they may be.
Also, you don't need version 20 for motion projects. Motion control, even Kinetix motion, has been available since v16.

I would also second dmargineau's comments. I recently went through a pretty painful ordeal upgrading a slew of L61's from v16 to v20. Performance took a serious hit. Plus there are SSV/GSV variables that change when updating firmware. For us this meant some code had to be rewritten. Not to mention quite a bit of task prioritizing and code optimization work had to be done to recover from the scantime damage that v20 caused.

If I were the OP, I would not go v20 unless it was an absolute necessity.

Hi

I would also stay with ver 19 for any l6x processor as I also had some problems with ver 20 and it also causes some problems with networks

Donnchadh

I'd go with either 19 or 20. Just avoid 18 like the plague.

Indeed.

I don't have any experience with L6x on 20 (only L7x) so my gut says go with 19 (although 20 might be fine).

I am liking V20 software though. Mostly because when I try to go online with a processor and it can't find it, I can cancel now rather than wait the minute that it would take for it to figure out it can't talk.

To clear the record - yes, I was talking about changing the CLX Processor revision level - not my laptop. My Laptop has several versions installed.

I decided to go with version 19. Right after I made that decision, my co-worker offered to give me his new 1756-L71 since his project is less worthy of it than our current process. So, it looks like it will be version 20, but on an L71 processor.

I'll still have to flash the sercos card and some other things - thanks to all who pointed that out.