Allen Bradley 1746-A7 slot chassis

fons04

Hi, I'm new on Allen Bradley PLC's and i'm in process to buy a 1746-A7 chassis with power supply 1746-P2.I've already a processor 5/02. If i buy one Input and one Output card, it will work? or i need All slots with cards and a End card? Thanks you!

Hi, I'm new on Allen Bradley PLC's and i'm in process to buy a 1746-A7 chassis with power supply 1746-P2.I've already a processor 5/02. If i buy one Input and one Output card, it will work? or i need All slots with cards and a End card? Thanks you!

It will work, you dont need all slots filled in an slc system rack and you dont need an end card.

Also, note that you will need RSLogix500 software (not cheap) to program the thing, along with RSLinx Lite (free).

Additionally, with a 5/02 (or 5/01) you will need a comunication method. The old way to talk to these things was with a PIC module, but there are aftermarket devices that will do the job for le$$.

If you plan to run the software on a WindowsXP SP3 machine, note that you may have problems with the PIC driver, but there is a workaround for it. Post back when you get to that point and we can help you get "online"

Good Luck!
Paul

Also, note that you will need RSLogix500 software (not cheap) to program the thing, along with RSLinx Lite (free).

Additionally, with a 5/02 (or 5/01) you will need a comunication method. The old way to talk to these things was with a PIC module, but there are aftermarket devices that will do the job for le$$.

If you plan to run the software on a WindowsXP SP3 machine, note that you may have problems with the PIC driver, but there is a workaround for it. Post back when you get to that point and we can help you get "online"

Good Luck!
Paul

Here's another source for after market devices. (PIC)
note : you need a real serial port for this.

If not ( no serailport) a 1747-UIC (USB to DH485 converter) is your best bet.

http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCProgrammingCables.htm

OR ...

keep your eyes open for an SLC-5/03 or higher processor ... those have a built in serial port - so you won't have to worry about the dreaded "PIC" or "UIC" communication methods ... specifically, a simple "null modem" cable from Radio Shack will work ...

basic idea: sometimes you can pick up a processor cheaper than you can get the cables lined up ...

also ... if the SLC-5/03 (or higher) has an operating system higher than 300 (OS300 in the specs) then you should be able to work with floating point numbers ... most SLC-5/03's (and higher) that are available "used" will have this capability ... it will probably come in handy somewhere down the road ...

good luck with your project ...

It is possible to use a cable RJ45 (CPU) and rs232(PC) wiring correctly for receiving and sending? If not why? And Where can i procure Rslogix500 not from Rockwell Automation? What's menaning of "floating points numbers"? Thanks

It is possible to use a cable RJ45 (CPU) and rs232(PC) wiring correctly for receiving and sending? If not why?

The electrical properties for RS232 and the RS485 present at the CPU are different and require active electronic components for the conversion.

And Where can i procure Rslogix500 not from Rockwell Automation?

You may be able to purchase an older copy on EBay but most offers do not have the necessary activation. Your Allen Bradley distributor is the best source.

What's menaning of "floating points numbers"?

Floating point numbers break very small and very large numbers into two components, the significant digits (mantissa) and the offset of these significant digits from the decimal point (exponent) and store these two parts in a memory location (typically 32 bits). This allows for great dynamic range at the sacrifice of the number of significant digits. If this is still unclear or you only need to count a small number of items then this may not be important.