Allen-Bradley 1766-L32BXBA

Christoph

Have been asked to install a Micrologix 1400 ser:B. 1 of the functions I need
is to read a single channel from an encoder on Input 0. I want to use to calculate speed in FPM and FPS. I can not find any info on configuring the HSC files. And this processor does not seem to support an STI ladder either.
Enlighten me, have never used a Micrologix before!

The High Speed Counter features are pretty well described in the RSLogix 500 online Help, as well as in the MicroLogix 1400 Reference Manual.

The "User Manual" (1766-UM001N) is focused on hardware installation, wiring, and network connections, while the Reference Manual (1766-RM001) has details on MicroLogix specific features like the HSCs and interrupts.

The classic SLC-500 family and the older MicroLogix (1000/1200/1500) supported just one Selectable Timed Interrupt (STI) and one Discrete Input Interrupt (DII).

The MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 have a newer operating system and hardware and configure those features a little differently, in "Function Files" instead of in a section of the Status file.

The STI works very similarly to the classic SLC-500 Selectable Timed Interrupt.

The "Event Input Interrupt" has supplanted the "Discrete Input Interrupt". There are eight EII's, one for each of the first 8 inputs.

But the HSC is a little more old-fashioned (if faster than the old hardware) and doesn't have a built-in rate mode.

The Tim Wilborne video linked above is probably one of the easiest ways to understand how to use the simple Counter mode to calculate a Rate value. You can do it in fancier ways but his method is easy to understand and troubleshoot.

The video from TWS was most helpful. Had to search for the video previous to that one
for the HSC file setup and use in the prgm. lt was explained in plain English. All is working now.