Allen Bradley AOPs for ABB Robot IRC5 EIP

Nortech

Very general question here. Are there any general function blocks/Add on profiles for ABB IRC5 when connected over EIP?

If not, why not? I've never had to integrate ABB with Allen bradley but I have used allen bradley with other robot types and similarly used ABB robots with other PLCs.

With them being two of the biggest players, I'm a bit shocked at the lack of info in general and specifically AOP or function blocks.

Am I just looking in the wrong place of do they not exist?

P.S this is general only, not looking for specific technical answers, only feedback from some of you who integrate Allen bradley with IRC5 regularly.

Thanks!

The only thing I see special about the AOP for Fanuc is that it gives the option of integrating the CIP safety (if that option was purchased) along with standard I/O in the same module definition. So only one ethernet node used.

If I remember correctly, the CIP safety and standard I/O with ABB are separate Generic and safe Generic module declarations, the SafeMove option gets its own ethernet address. So two ethernet nodes used. (If I got this wrong, please correct me, my memory is a little foggy on this detail).

Other than that, there isn't really an advantage, you still have to create your own I/O map to match the declarations in the Fanuc I/O map. Same as in ABB's Robot Studio.

I developed standard I/O maps long ago and continue to use them when the customer doesn't have their own specification (GM and Ford come to mind).

6-7 years ago I used Siemens PLCs with ABB robots and I recall having to do all of the grunt work myself. Before that I did the robot/PLC programming for ABB on a Ford assembly line using Siemens and ABB had me using a $s/w package$ (the name escapes me) that took some of the grunt work out. It was very specific and I remember Ford grumbling about the cost and the lack of flexibility.

I usually check robot-forum dot com for helpful integrating tips. What were the helpful tools that you came across with other PLCs when integrating ABB?

Last edited:
There aren't AOPs, but you can download EDS files from their website:
https://new.abb.com/products/robotics/robotstudio/downloads
They're buried in the RobotWare Tools and Utilities download.

I use these EDS files to add to the I/O Configuration instead of generic Ethernet Modules.
I think I had to use these EDS files to use CIP Safety over Ethernet with the robot controllers.

As far as function blocks, I think there aren't any made because of how flexible the I/O setup is for the ABB controller. Any signal between the robot and PLC can be mapped where ever you want. ABB also sells their own PLCs, so that may be another reason they haven't spent time on it.

Unless a customer has a defined standard, we just use standard PLC and robot programs that we wrote years ago for the interface and modify as needed.

Last edited:
I just checked a backup from the last time I used CIP Safety with an ABB.
I used the generic Ethernet-Safety-Standard-Module which allowed both safety and standard I/O in a single module.
This was a few years ago, so maybe they updated their EDS files.

I usually check robot-forum dot com for helpful integrating tips. What were the helpful tools that you came across with other PLCs when integrating ABB?

I started exactly the same chat there. In response to your last point, I mostly used omron PLCs with ABB robots and found the documentation from omron excellent with worked example of connection set-up for all robots and most VSDs, servos, cameras etc. Even some sample code.

Take a look at the omron website down at the bottom of this page. Pretty extensive range of manuals for specific equipment. It's for ethercat but I know the have the same for other fieldbuses

https://industrial.omron.eu/en/products/NJ101-1000

I know you can write it all yourself but I think it's worth omron's time developing these manuals as i'll certainly opt for the path of least resistance on set-up where the customer hasn't specified a PLC.

I know you can write it all yourself but I think it's worth omron's time developing these manuals as i'll certainly opt for the path of least resistance on set-up where the customer hasn't specified a PLC.

Oh, I agree. Though I very rarely use Omron, in fact the only customer I have that uses Omron is Nissan in Tennessee and I'm usually just doing the robot code. But I'll let the PLC guy know about it, I believe we have a project coming up after the new year. Thanks!