Allen Bradley ML1400 HSC

taylorICS

Hi Guys

I'm new to Allen Bradley and I'm trying to figure out how to get a simple encoder input into the MicroLogix 1400. After looking through the help files, I would assume the HSC instruction would do the job. However it is greyed out but the manual 1766-RM001E-EN-P says all ML1400's support HSC inputs.

Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers

Now I realize what you are seeing. The 1400 and all newer models use a Function File for high speed counting. You don't use the HSC instruction. Open your Instruction Set Reference manual and start looking for the section titled 'Using the High Speed Counter'

Ahhh I think I see. I've got the table in front of me and I assume you just use the addresses in the ladder. i.e. if i want to read the current PV then I could just move HSC:0/ACC to a data register N7:0

I also have same problem i had do this tric but it cant work, and is there is any parameter in hsc function files which i ave to set.

is there is any parameter in hsc function files which i ave to set.
Yes, there are a few. I believe the PFN word (i.e. HSC:0.PFN) has to be set to nonzero even if you don't intend to call a subroutine during an underflow/overflow situation. I just set it to 2 for the main program. Also, the FE (function enabled), AS (auto start), and CE (counting enabled) bits have to be on. Of course, the MOD (mode) word has to be set according to your application.

The only instruction you need to use in ladder logic is RAC, to reset the accumulated value of a counter.

Ml-1400 (cat #1766-l32bwaa) encoder not counting fully

Good morning to you! I hope this Thursday finds you well.

I have connected an encoder to I:0/0 on my ML-1400 (1766-L32BWAA)---specifically a Red Lion 100PPR Single-Channel Encoder (the WHITE lead for Data A) to I:0/0 and made the following changes below to my RS-LOGIX 500 program.

I removed the I:0/0 (encoder input-- A) XIC bit that drove the C5:0 CTU---that rung I took out. Not necessary any more I thought since I am to use the HSC.

Then I made the configuration changes in the Function Files. That seemed pretty straight forward---and set it to "Count Up" ---Mode 0.

I created another file---LAD 3 - HSC_SUB (even though there isn't any logic within it) so the PFN could execute that subroutine when the HIP was reached.

I then routed my words (N7's) with Move instructions so they could still place a length value in the HIP and vice versa for my PVc Touch-panel's screen indicators.

So, I checked it and no errors---and then I ran it. Still doing the same thing as before (which is that it can count when the encoder shaft turns really slow---but becomes sporadic if it speeds up at all, like faster than 1 rpm.) The maximum speed the encoder shaft should be able to do is 300 rpm's. It did the same thing before I incorporated any HSC logic---but it does count and go through cut cycle after it reaches full length count. So, some of it is working even after I had initially removed the I:0/0 (encoder signal) and the CTU C5:0 (length count) from the logic.

Is this a sampling rate issue?

What I do notice is that the HSC:0.ACC does not reset after it finishes a cycle. Also, it can not count up accurately when the machine goes above 5 or 10 cycles on the drive---like the speed I mentioned earlier (1 rpm of the encoder shaft). In the Quick Start guide I notice that the ACC should reset once the HIP is reached. Puzzling.

If you would, let me know your thoughts and THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for reading this.

While offline with your program open I/O Configuration on the left.

Highlight the CPU and press 'Adv Config' (lower left)

In the screen that opens set the Base/Type to BWA

Select the 'Embedded I/O Configuration' tab

Set the filter time for Input 0/1 to aa time about 1/10 of the shortest (On or Off) portion of your input at its fastest rate.

Apply everything and re download the project.

Thank you for reading it.

I found the Embedded IO Config screen---thank you. However, I don't see an aa setting but I do see the following:

5 uS
8 uS
12.5 uS
25 uS
75 uS
100 uS
250 uS
500 uS
1mS
2 mS
4 mS
8 mS
16 mS

3zmnqovur

Let me know your thoughts.

I'm sorry. The double a was a typographical error. Determine the 1/2 cycle time of your signal at its fastest. Then select one of the listed times which is less than that 1/2 cycle time. If all of the times shown are LONGER than your cycle then you will need another - faster - way to count pulses.