Anyone experienced using a larger (11kW,15hp) VFD 3 phase using only single phase in?

Sorry guys but I'm not familiar with yours voltages levels, so I use my - EU standard.
Maybe I don't understand you correctly but:
It's not possible to feed motor 3x400V form inverter supply with 1ph (230V). But when you have motor 3x400V star, then you can connect it to delta=3x230V and supply from 1ph by inverter (derating needed because you have only 1ph).

Sorry guys but I'm not familiar with yours voltages levels, so I use my - EU standard.
Maybe I don't understand you correctly but:
It's not possible to feed motor 3x400V form inverter supply with 1ph (230V). But when you have motor 3x400V star, then you can connect it to delta=3x230V and supply from 1ph by inverter (derating needed because you have only 1ph).

THe setup that is being discussed is a 3 phase VFD built for 480 3 phase line.

THE question is -- can it be supplied with 480 single phase to the VFD.

THe 480 was derived by 2:1 stepup transformer fed with 240 single phase.

This setup would work as DickDV said.

Dan Bentler