anyone tried the ezplc from ezautomation?

bbseay

Has anyone tried the ezplc from ezautomation? I am thinking of trying one. Any feedback would be apreciated.

Billy

EzPLC

I've had a good look @ these low cost Modules. If you're running this in any type of low temp application or in an industrial application, be aware that the PLC is designed as a "cheap" solution. The photos from the website and the ‘in hand’ reaction is quite different. We ordered one for our internal evaluation and have decided that the EZplc will not be a device we will promote. Their touch screens are OK, but not the plc. The software package is rather adept when comparing it to other low cost PLC packages, but that's the only positive aspect I can note on. If you plan on using this in an application that does not require rugged durability, then the EZplc would probably be fine. We have not tested this PLC in a live application, but we have tested it on our desks. All the I/O card seem to function fine, but we did have some concerns with the 4-20mA input card. They claim a high A/D bit resolution, which is true, but the stability of the converter has a lot to be desired. We use a loop simulator (about as solid a signal can be) and the value was bouncing around to the point of illegibility.

Two cents more...

Used one on a tank burst test station.
With regards to the analog signal bouncing around a lot, I also experienced that when the 0v was tied to a terminal block with other devices. Ended up landing it on the 24v power supply, and all my fluctuation went away. Why, I dasn't know. Just a mechanical guy who dabbles in controls. Loops of some sort I suppose.

I'll echo the thoughts on the display. HMI programming was good, plc programming was ok, but as the unit uses the same serial port to communicate between the plc and hmi side, required constant flipping of flippin' dip switches. Impossible to monitor the program function in real time and run the hmi at the same time. That really s**cks.

Also didn't care for wiring all i/o back to a door mounted device. I'd rather have the i/o terminations on the backplane.
In the future, I also will use their touchscreens, but not their plc's.

Regards,

Andy

One more thought, for my application (ramping pressure to preset target, holding, then ramping to product failure), the display graphing functions worked great. Was able to graph command vs. actual pressure, which made it very easy to tune the system for proper response.

Andy

more EZ PLC review

Agree with all -- but did want to add a few more comments. I also could not monitor the PLC ladder logic. There is a function called "Monitor Tags", which lets you pick any or all of the tagnames from the tag list and montior their status ON or OFF. I did not see any values for timers or counters, and that is not nearly the same as monitoring the actual ladder when troubleshooting. So that is a negative. We also had a problem when trying to merge the PLC file and the HMI file (we were using the TouchPLC combo). When I first downloaded the version 5.0 software from EZAutomation website and tried to import a PLC file into the touchscreen project, only about half of the tagnames were loaded, then the device would give an error. The file then contained the remainder of the tags with no names or descriptions. Further more, the elements in our ladder were totally jumbled up. This is hard to explain, but for example if rung 1 contained a N.O. Input 1 and coil S1, that rung would appear but the N.O. contact would be some other tag and address, and the output would also be another tag and address. I talked at length with EZAutomation tech support and sent them the files. They returned the files saying they were corrected, but I could not find any differences. Long story -- summary is we will not buy any more of these devices.

EZTOuch PLC

I'm starting a project now where we are trying an EZTouch PLC. In the past we have used the DL-05 or a DL-06 attached to an EZTouch panel. The boss thinks the EZTouch PLC will save us a hendred bucks or so on fabrication time.

So far (altough I'm just getting started) I would have to say I'm underwhelmed. The instruction set is rather limited, the interface for the programming is jerky, and the books are horrible. The instructions for setting the DIP switches are flat out wrong, took me an hour of trial and error just to talk tp the unit (and I have NO problems with the touchpanels). In short, the Automation Direct PLCs have many more features and are easier to program.

You're only going to be saving a few bucks per unit, and I think you're going to end up recouping that cost in programming in the long run.

Finally, AD's website and manuals are a hundred times better than EZA's. I am a fan of their touchscreens though.