Batch, Sequences, Modbus, and Compactlogix

Hey guys,

A couple of quick questions but first a layout of what I'm working with.

Compactlogix 1769-L37erm controller. The current system we have is a micrologix 1400 that im trying to retrofit. that uses a integer register to hold a sequence number and gets incremented when a step in the sequence is complete. This also has bits to flag the start and end of a batch.

The HMI for the new unit will be Wonderware(Aveva) intouch 2020

1. Is there a better way to do sequences(about 100 sequence shifts max) in studio 5000? (I plan on running V30.11)

2. Should i make the batch portion part of an "Event" routine or just keep everything under a continuous routine like i usually do?

3. Also, I am having a hard time with the prosoft mvi69E-mbs availability. Is there a strong solution for compactlogix-modbus RTU comms out there? Imk aware of the data station, Moxa Gateway, and 1769-sm2(Not sure if this will work)
Here are the requirements
* 100 Commands (About)
* RTU only
* 38400 Baud
* 24 or 12V
*cabinet is small, so size may be an issue

Thank you everyone!

Personally, I would stick with the integer numbers, this is a great way of controlling sequences for many reasons, using bits (SET/RESET) can get messy, also it makes sense to make the steps in multiples of 10, that way if you need to add a step it becomes simple to slot one in.
Another good reason is on most Scada systems you can use a lookup (preferably an SQL table) where the step numbers equate to messages so to display what is currently happening the Scada does a query based on the integer for example 0 = IDLE, 10 = Start up, 20 is Adding xxx & so on, simple to add other messages so it displays what is happening on the screen.

the Spectrum Controls Gateway does a good job in modbus RTU to Compactlogix.
The GUI is a little wonky, but you can import a tag and device list to get around that.