Beckhoff ADS protocol

ErikSBE

Hello,

I am using a Beckhoff Twincat PLC system (PC-based).
Because I want to comunicate over TCP/IP with this PLC i am trying to implement the ADS protocol into my C++ application.

Because i use a SuSe Linux system i can not use the standard DLL (ADSDll.dll). Does anyone has a own implementation of this ADS protocol ?

There used to be a Open Source project called LibADS but that does not exsists anymore.

Can anyone help me ? May be anyone has some example code ?

Greating
Erik

www.sbengineering.nl

I have partly implemented ADS for my SCADA/HMI project VISUAL. As it is open source under GPL, you can freely use the sources for your purpose.

See:
http://visual.sf.net

If you have questions, you can find my mail address on the project homepage and in the sources.

Hello zottel,

Thank you for this information.

Did you also programm for the Open Source project LIBADS (that not exist anymore) ?

Are you sure you use the ADS protocol and not the Modbus TCP protocol ?

Greating
Erik

Last edited:
I initiated LibADS with the intention to publish the code as a project of it's own. But then I have been too occupied with other things.
In the meantime I lost some of the intimate knowledge of my own code...

Yes, I'm sure to use ADS. In VISUAL, there is the choice to access BECKHOFF couplers via Modbus or ADS. There are separate driver files in the plcdrivers directory. Note that some things are not yet ready for a general purpose use. For examble the AMSNetIds are hardcoded in the driver source.

I neither stopped the project nor sold anything. I just never "cleaned up and polished" the code so that I found it ready to release.

I have currently one application of VISUAL where this code reads temperatures from a BC9000 with thermocouple inputs.

Hello Zottel,

I downloaded VISUAL.

I found the ADS c-code. Thank you !

Do you known more developers / companies who use such a implementation of the ADS protocol ?

Beckhoff in the Netherlands does not know more people working on it ..

Greating
Erik

www.sbengineering.nl

No, I don't. Since I did announce libADS, only one person has aked me about it. I sent him a .tgz with the code, but never heard what he might have done with it.

Erik,
I know a man at Beckhoff in Germany who is responsible for helping people implement the ADS protocol.

PM me for the e-mail address

Keeper