button security in rsview 32 V7.30 cpr7

Yep. You'll need to setup user codes and then use RSVlogin to prompt the user for their username/password. Once you do that, you can use the current level to hide/show buttons. On the button, right click, animation, visibility.

One issue I've always complained about is the lack of a 'Disable' animation on a standard button. Wonderware has it, but RSView32 doesn't. The 'Disable' feature would lock the button and grey the text to conform to standard windows look/feel. You can accomplish the same thing with a button overlayed on top of a static image of a button with grey text and hide/show with visibility. Another method is to use an MS ActiveX button which does have the disable property, but it requires a boolean tag so you have to have a derived tag that's the condition of your disable/enable for that button.

They both have their plusses and minuses. I do prefer RSView32s ActiveX container capabilities and the fact that all scripting is in VBA which makes it very powerful. But it takes getting used to passing parameter files (in RSView) vs Indirect Tags in WW, event/Macro scripting vs Condition scripting, and using derived tags instead of using window or application While Running scripts.

And don't get me started on the lack of an imbedded Tag Retentive feature in RSView or the convoluted method of creating historical tags. They both certainly suck in RSView32.

However, with all that said, I've got some fairly complex continuous batching HMIs that I've been able to mirror (from an Operator's view) in both applications, so almost all the functions can be duplicated albeit with more or less effort depending on the platform.

Last edited:
i'm still not having much luck with this issue. on my animation selections for buttons it does not include the option of using the loged in user's security codes for visability, or am i missing out on how it done? i'm not veru good at vb scripting and trying to learn a lot all at one time. i have tried some scripting that was posted here for this on view me & studio but they did not work for me.

Create a button.
Right click on the button and from the pop up menu choose "Visibility".
You can make it visible when the condition you choose here is true or false.
You may use a tag or an expression such as "system\User=xxx".
Hope this helps. I work with ME so it shoud be smilar set up.

Last edited:
i have that down for now but i have up to 6 of 10 users for some of teh buttons and don't want to have to make a button for each user to see. that was why i was trying to figure out how to do it off of the security setting for the users. butthank for trying to help it is greatiously accepted.

Not sure on how to do it via the Security settings but for all its worth the easiest way for me would be to setup an expression such as:
("system\User=xxx" OR "system\User=yyy" OR "system\User=zzz") = Show Button.
This will cover all users with perms to view/access the button(s) and will take care of the visibility

As Brown suggested, use the USER_HASPERMISSION(security_code) function. When you setup your users, develop a scheme such that each has a particular security level (A to Z). It's easiest to use a progressive level system. In other words, the lowest user has only A, the next to the lowest, A and B, the next A, B and C, and so forth to the highest level. Then, let's say you have a button with medium security of 'C'. All users logged on greater than C would be able to use that button with the visibility attribute. Any user less than 'C' the button would disappear.

that sugestion was not in the view manuals and i will give it a try when i get in to work tonight, thanks for the sugestion and i will let u know how it goes. the both of you whoe sugested this. i work night shift

Last edited:
i could do it the way bkottaras sugested but then as new users were added to teh system i have to sdit the buttons and i'm trying to avoid this if posible like i could wiht wonderware vbmenu_register("postmenu_273919", true); vbmenu_register("postmenu_273919", true);

i got it to work :) i had to set it up as a derived tag with currentuserhascode( securtiy_code ) in teh expression and use this tag as the key for visability on the button. a little more work than wonderware but it will cut down alot on button programing as users change :) thank you all for the help!!!!!