Can serial interface data be duplicated??

RPax

Hi, just wondering can serial interface data be duplicated?.

I have a Siemens CP340 RS232C (ascii, 3964R)that communicates with a small little Dot matrix type printer. The printer records batch data from the PLC.

Our production staff now require another exact same printer to print a duplicate copy of the current printer.

What I was wondering is there a device that can tap into the current serial interface and duplicate the serial data and send to the new printer?

Appreciate if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks - Rpax

As long as the printers are stupid, and don't have hand-shaking, just parallel the TX and COMMON pins from the RS232 port to the RX and COMMON pins of each printer.

If the printers do require handshaking, you will have to get more elaborate with some switchgear probably.

If it is one of those printers that has a paper roll of 57mm width, there is an easier way. Use two part paper (no carbon required NCR). The copy is never as good as the primary but still very readable.

Bryan

Thanks Lads for you replies.

Unfortunetely Bryan for convienience they require the printouts in two different rooms so cant go down that route.

I will have a look into the wiring and confirm whether handshaking is required. If so, i'll contact blackbox or bb-electronics to see if they have any type of serial switches that will do the jobs.

Again thanks for your suggestions.

If you are talking two different rooms just be careful on distance. RS232 was never intended for long distance transmission.

Bryan